Sour Crop I think - any advice!

shoregirl1234

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2016
I have a 3 year old ISA brown who was not looking good a couple of weeks ago. I pulled her from the others. Got her hydrated and got her nutrient back up. B12 and Poultry Cell. She was eating and drinking well. Seemed to be on the mend so I put her back with the others. After a few days, she went back downhill. We have gone from empty crop to full crop. Not eating, lethargic. Last night we heard her drinking A LOT after dark. This morning her crop was full. I thought it was just all of the water she drank. All day she has just been sitting - I can tell her crop is too full. When she is sitting, she starts choking. She vomited some of it up - yellowish. I do NOT feel comfortable burping her as I lost a girl to that previously. We don't have a chicken vet so I just want to help my girl. I pulled all food and water. Should I try and give her ACV water? There are so many things I am just confused. I am almost thinking she has coccidia. PLEASE HELP!!

After a few days, she went back downhill. We have gone from empty crop to full crop. Not eating, lethargic. Last night we heard her drinking A LOT after dark. This morning her crop was full. I thought it was just all of the water she drank. All day she has just been sitting - I can tell her crop is too full. When she is sitting, she starts choking. She vomited some of it up - yellowish.
When is the last time she laid an egg?
Can you feel of her abdomen to see if it's swollen/bloated or fluid filled - cup your hand between her legs below the vent - compare her to some of your other hens if you need to.
Photos of your hen and her poop?

Often times there is an underlying condition that causes a crop to slow and back up. If the breath is stinky, then the contents have turned sour, but you will need to figure out why the crop is not emptying on the first place. Reproductive problems, worms, coccidiosis and infection are some common causes that slow or even block the digestive process.

Read the 2 articles for some tips - get us some photos and report back what you see, smell and feel.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Back
Top Bottom