Sour Crop? Need some experienced advice!

bockbock720

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
South Florida
One of my red stars has become sick, I noticed it about two days ago- moving slowly, not keeping up with her sisters and when we picked her up a lot of nasty smelling liquid poured out of her mouth, her crop was swollen like a water balloon, her comb was floppy and pale and she was lethargic. We didn't know if she had been pooping at all but when we quarantined her it seemed like there was no poop. Gave her some sugar water and a tiny dose of castor oil, then repeated. The next morning, she had pooped a little bit, her crop seemed so much smaller, her comb was bright again and she was responsive so we let her out, she ate mealworms and some cucumber like she was hungry and we thought, whew! But by late afternoon her crop was swollen again and the rest of the symptoms were back. It has also been super humid and hot out, even with the breeze! When we bring her inside she does seem more comfortable. Sounds like sour crop, right? So what is the BEST course of action? I've read yogurt, monistsat, soft diet only, etc. has anyone ever been successful permanently treating this? And why did it happen in the first place, my other two are totally healthy! She is my sweetest hen and I want her feeling better again...❤️

I had a light bout of sour crop this year in one hen. Wasn't severe enough to cause pale comb but she was lethargic. All I did was pick her up each day, tilt away from me with hand below her crop and have her expel what was in there. Repeat each day until no more comes out.

Back
Top Bottom