Sour crop not improving, may be other issues going on

I have a chicken that I yesterday morning found lethargic. I took her aside and could feel that her crop was large and squishy, like all filled with fluid. She also had diarrhoea, which might have had for a few days as I've noticed that there have been watery poops under one of the roosts in the morning. I thought I knew the reason why so I wasn't worried and all the chickens seemed fine. I know now I should have investigated further although it is unlikely I would have suspected sour crop as I've never dealt with it before. I called the local vet who could not help aside to tell me to keep giving fluid because of the diarrhoea. So I've administered garlic water with a little bit of yoghurt in it a few times a day plus softly massaging her crop a little bit. She slept on the roosts with the others but when I went to get her this morning there was zero improvement. Her crop hasn't emptied at all. She had moved so I couldn't be sure if she has pooped any but there were no watery poops. She pooped twice yesterday, once diarrhoea, later in the day after having been given only fluids she made one small but normal looking poop.

From reading online I find all sorts of conflicting advice and with no vet who knows anything about chickens I'm at a loss. What I'm doing doesn't seem to be helping and I worry she's too far gone already. The sour crop might be a result of something else going on. One day maybe a week ago I found blood on one of the roosts. None of the chickens seemed to be injured, I wrote it off as a peck in some not very visible spot, and now I'm thinking there might have been an internal bleed of some sort.

She can walk around a tiny bit but mostly nods off. She has terrible breath and her innards make weird sounds, like food digesting. She seems thinner than she used to be so I'm not sure how long I can keep her off food, although she isn't interested in food anyway. I feed fluid with a syringe.
I am so sorry about your chicken...its so comforting to have this forum, to atleast discuss these things..we have a great shortage of vets with chicken expertise...I have none here either...i live in a rural area outside of Houston. so I was on the forum looking for answers for my black Australorp who wasn't eating and not even scratching ... just sitting with her feathers all puffed up, i found a post about sour crop and was so new to chickens I hadn't even thought to look..so yes had a very full crop, massaged it and turned her upside down to allow the crop contents to be thrown up (in effect) she was much improve..still did the massage and up end...not much out and then nothing and my Black Australorp was just fine! I think it was originally caused by the hay I put in their little house to help make a nest, she had been eating it and swallowing long strands and the rest was history.

Back
Top Bottom