Sour crop or blockage ?

Boergoatlover

Chirping
Jul 30, 2020
Hello
On Friday morning my hens crop was full and squishy when I picked her up brown foul smelling liquid started to come out. I emptied her crop which I would never normally do due to the risks but my vet was fully booked till Monday. She came into the house and had soft eggs and water. As soon as she drank her crop filled up and again started spilling out her beak.

on Saturday morning it had mostly emptied apart from a tiny amount. I gave her just water and again the crop was totally full and squishy from the water. I withheld water all day today and the crop stayed empty but when I let her have some tonight before bed when I picked her up it came out her beak.
Her crop seems to empty but as soon as she drinks becomes full.
Her poo is white abs watery.

is this sour crop or could she have a blockage ?

You should always let her have water, and never take up water, even with a sour crop. It does sound like she has sour crop. What do you feed her, and do you have granite poultry grit available to take what she needs? What do you feed? Can you get some chilled coconut oil and cut it into small pieces for her to peck at? A tsp daily is good. Here is a good article about crop disorders:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

You should always let her have water, and never take up water, even with a sour crop. It does sound like she has sour crop. What do you feed her, and do you have granite poultry grit available to take what she needs? What do you feed? Can you get some chilled coconut oil and cut it into small pieces for her to peck at? A tsp daily is good. Here is a good article about crop disorders:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thanks for sending this link about the different types of crop issues. I was wondering what this meant in the article when it said, "If the crop refuses to empty..." Does this mean that I would need to turn my hen facing down to empty her crop? Or does the crop naturally bring whatever is in there out of the mouth? Thanks!

I don’t like to recommend ever making a chicken vomit by turning them downward. It can cause them to choke to death. It is better to give water by a feeding tube, and then try to remove the crop contents with the tube. Can you see a vet?

I don’t like to recommend ever making a chicken vomit by turning them downward. It can cause them to choke to death. It is better to give water by a feeding tube, and then try to remove the crop contents with the tube. Can you see a vet?
I am new to keeping chickens. I was wondering about the crop on one of my chickens today. I was just wanting to clarify what the crop "refusing to empty" meant. Turning the chicken downward isn't something I'd do with my limited chicken knowledge. Thanks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom