Sour crop or impacted crop?

willowcol

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Macclesfield NC
I have a 2 1/2 week old chick who isn't growng like the others. It also has a large crop and when you kinda squeeze it it smells terrible and makes a bubbling sound. I have it in the house since I noticed yesterday it was sluggish and 1/2 the size of the others. I just don't know if its sour crop or impacted crop. I used a dropper and got it to drink some water mixed with olive oil and vinegar. Any other suggestions.

Last edited:
the only way you are going to get the cick better is to flush the crop
(1 1/2 cup baking soda and 1 pt oi warm water
use a child's ear syringe and fill with soda water
now put syringe to back of throat of the chick

(1-B so you are fillin the crop area and put this soda water in the crop
now come up under the crop on front of chicken
push softly the sour mess in the crop out the beak
(1-C then flush it three times to get all the sour food out and what ever is blocking the chicks crop hole

(2 DO NOT feed any thing more than milk-yogurt soaked slice of bread

(3 I guess the mineral oil is okay
BUT always put the eye dropper in the back of the chickens throat thus you do not choke the chicken

(3-B also I would use 2 tsp of apple cider vineager in their gallon waterer
this will help the gut
hopefully you can get them to be okay

(4 may I sugges that you go to a lumber yard and buy white play school sand for their bedding
it is very nice and will not hurt them if they injest it
then you can take a cat litter scoop and clean out sand with droppings in it

(5 does your chickens have ample amounts of granite grit

(6 do these chickens have access to grass?
could be what is bound up in the birds crop

they will need to not be fed the treats that may have pluged the crop hole

if you have more questions email me PM and I will try and help

You might separate her so that you can follow her "movements." If it is impacted or sour, which it sounds like the latter - you do not want her to have access to feed. Provide her a bit of yogurt and water while she is swollen Use newspaper and not bedding. You can massage the crop and I actually tipped my bird upside down to have her purge/vomit. Gently.

Ok I did everything you said and am pleased to say that the crop is down now. I can still smell the nasty smell but hopefully that will go away soon to. Thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom