Sour Crop or Infectious Coryza HELP!:(

tburden40

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2022
Hi everyone. I’m a newish chicken mama and I have a hen that I’m not sure exactly what to treat her for. She has sounded a little gurgly for a while (no swollen eyes, drainage, foamy eyes) ,but otherwise seemed healthy (eating and foraging with the rest of the flock. I treated her for 5 days with Denegard and finished that a couple days ago. She still sounded crackly/gurgly after treatment. But today when I let them out of the coop she stayed on the roost and was reluctant to come out. I picked her up and immediately noticed a foul smell with some thick, whitish fluid in her mouth. She sounded even more gurgly than normal and definitely doesn’t feel good. Not attempting to peck around, eat, or drink. I’m just not sure if I should be trying to treat her for sour crop or infectious coryza??

It sounds like sour crop to me.

I don’t know if denegard helps with sour crop, as it’s a yeast infection, which I believe is fungal. I would try miconazole, which treats yeast infections in humans but can be given to chickens.

I don’t know if denegard helps with sour crop, as it’s a yeast infection, which I believe is fungal. I would try miconazole, which treats yeast infections in humans but can be given to chickens.
I did Denegard before I suspected sour crop. I first thought just a respiratory infection. I did pick up some miconazole today and will start her on that! Thank you!

How do you give it to them....silly question I know
Do you have the cream or suppositories?

For the suppositories, I cut it into 1/4 inch pieces, and pop directly into their beak. They should swallow it easily.

For cream, I think it should be similar, though I haven’t used it so I don’t know what it’s like.

You should give it 2X a day for 7 days.

Here’s an article that may be helpful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Okay adding to my reply lol Upon feeling her crop this afternoon it felt empty except a small maybe golf ball size mass towards the bottom of it. Which she just ate some soft scraps (mashed potatoes. I had to bribe her to come out from under the deck because it’s so hot here lol) but I do notice some clear what would look like snot out of her nostrils now. She does act better than this morning, more active, and did eat the scraps I bribed her with. Also the foul smell she had this morning is less this afternoon but still there. And the whitish thick fluid in her mouth from this morning was also gone this afternoon. She definitely still sounds crackly/gurgly though.

Attachments

• 4DE7FC26-8E65-40FC-989D-9BA0AB57B42D.jpeg
    4DE7FC26-8E65-40FC-989D-9BA0AB57B42D.jpeg
    455.1 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom