Sour crop or something else?

Kaiah

In the Brooder
May 28, 2022
5335224D-0B14-4898-B901-4832B0912FE7.jpeg
42425E66-81F3-45A1-884E-FAF8922B97A1.jpeg
Hey guys! I’m new to chicken ownership and I have one pullet with a super bloated crop, and despite my best efforts, she isn’t improving. It’s crazy because it’s been here for weeks and I’ve been treating her for the past week or so when I caught it.
I have had her separated for three days with only water, then when the crop shrunk I let her out only for it to fill up again.
I have been giving her oil and a little mixture of yogurt/cinnamon/apple cider vinegar in a syringe twice a day, and I drain her crop once a day two times.
She’s never eaten any grass, but has still only had chick feed, so I believe that is what’s stuck in her?
I’m at odds about what to do because whenever I get her crop to shrink it just blows back up again.

She is pooping, and (surprisingly) isn’t lethargic. What can I do to help her before it becomes worse?

There is a possibility that nothing is wrong with this pullet other than a conspicuously large crop. It's extremely unlikely for such a young pullet to have crop issues.

Here's what I suggest. Put her back with her pals. Take up food and water at bedtime and check her crop in the morning before she eats or drinks. If the crop is empty, there is no problem.

Let your chickens' behavior tell you the status of their health. An active chicken is a healthy chicken. Keep a general eye on the poop. As long as it's mostly firm with equal amounts urates (white and dark morsels) and occasional chocolate pudding cecals, your chickens are just fine.

Don't get alarmed over an occasional loose or runny poop. As long as the chicken making it is acting normally, there is nothing to worry about.

There is a possibility that nothing is wrong with this pullet other than a conspicuously large crop. It's extremely unlikely for such a young pullet to have crop issues.

Here's what I suggest. Put her back with her pals. Take up food and water at bedtime and check her crop in the morning before she eats or drinks. If the crop is empty, there is no problem.

Let your chickens' behavior tell you the status of their health. An active chicken is a healthy chicken. Keep a general eye on the poop. As long as it's mostly firm with equal amounts urates (white and dark morsels) and occasional chocolate pudding cecals, your chickens are just fine.

Don't get alarmed over an occasional loose or runny poop. As long as the chicken making it is acting normally, there is nothing to worry about.
Thank you for all the information! Whenever I take away her food for a night or day, her crop doesn’t empty. It’s very balloon like and probably the size of a tennis ball in my hands. I’m on my way outside to check on her again :) I think she’s about seven weeks old, so yeah she’s still just a baby.

UPDATE: Still a problem with my pullet. still seeking help! She’s super stopped up and I’m going to start feeding her Greek yogurt and cinnamon in hopes that she can proses that. I’ll have you know that her crop is in fact bulbous and fills my entire hand when held.

Back
Top Bottom