Sour Crop?

Aug 13, 2017
One of our best layers (Sussex) has a large protrusion on her chest. Research kind of proves it to be Sour Crop. I was not diligent with grit provisions :(. She is eating, drinking, laying and (now) consuming oyster shell. Will it help her condition at this stage? Hopeful for some advice and experience shares.

Maybe its not sour crop----put her in a private cage with no feed for a day---see if it goes way down? I have Glutters---with big crops---until in the Mornings----then its down a lot and they are ready to eat some more.

Crop problems can be simple or complicated. I'm going to give you a link to a pretty comprehensive article that should help you at least narrow it down. If you go through the info step by step, hopefully it will help point you in the right direction.
Also, oyster shell is a soluble source of calcium, it is not the equivalent of grit. Grit is a non soluble material, usually granite, that is used in the gizzard to grind the food. They serve very different purposes and are not interchangeable, both should be available to your birds free choice all the time, they will take what they need. Sour crop usually causes a bad odor from the chickens mouth. The previous post suggestion would be a good starting point, to see if the crop goes down or not. If the crop is full at bed time (remove feed) and empty 1st thing in the morning before feeding, then it's probably ok and as said, a big eater. Crop fullness will vary throughout the day as they eat and digest. If the crop is not emptying, then you have something going on. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...d-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments.67194/

Crop problems can be simple or complicated. I'm going to give you a link to a pretty comprehensive article that should help you at least narrow it down. If you go through the info step by step, hopefully it will help point you in the right direction.
Also, oyster shell is a soluble source of calcium, it is not the equivalent of grit. Grit is a non soluble material, usually granite, that is used in the gizzard to grind the food. They serve very different purposes and are not interchangeable, both should be available to your birds free choice all the time, they will take what they need. Sour crop usually causes a bad odor from the chickens mouth. The previous post suggestion would be a good starting point, to see if the crop goes down or not. If the crop is full at bed time (remove feed) and empty 1st thing in the morning before feeding, then it's probably ok and as said, a big eater. Crop fullness will vary throughout the day as they eat and digest. If the crop is not emptying, then you have something going on. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...d-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments.67194/
Thank you! I don't see hers changing at all and it's never been this large. I raised her from chick and she was two years old in May '17. I'll read the information and report back.

Back
Top Bottom