Sour crop

Claire 1982

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2020
Hi there, I have a hen that seems to have sour crop, about a week ago I noticed her bum was really messy and it smelt horrible, so I have been treating her for Vent Gleet, I have her Epsom salt baths, applied canesten offered her plain Greek yogurt and put ACV in the water, yesterday she seemed off her food and all week she had been hiding herself away, this morning she was moving her head funny and I noticed small amounts of liquid coming out of her mouth, I them thought she might have sour crop, I picked her up and loads of liquid came pouring out her mouth, I have now isolated her in my garage as I’ve read she needs to be starved for 24hrs. When 3hrs passed since this morning I picked her up again and massaged her crop while holding her downwards and more fluid came out, I’m aware this can be tricky but felt it was a last resort, she is still standing and seems quite withit, after 12hrs I will offer her some water, but not sure what to do once 24hrs has past? Don’t want to rush in and feed her!
This morning her crop seems full and soft, shall I repeat this procedure?

If she is looking better after the 24 hrs are up I would see if she could eat but if she can’t I would give her another couple hours. Have food available for her anyways so you don’t accidentally starve her to death.

If she is looking better after the 24 hrs are up I would see if she could eat but if she can’t I would give her another couple hours. Have food available for her anyways so you don’t accidentally starve her to death.

I managed to get some more fluid out, I have offered her some boiled egg and mixed a little bit of Greek yogurt with it, she has had a nibble on it, she seems alert and is moving around, I don't want to rush her outside with my other one and I don't want to make her 'vomit' anymore today unless I really have to, was thinking of soaked a small amount of wheat and pellets for her?

I managed to get some more fluid out, I have offered her some boiled egg and mixed a little bit of Greek yogurt with it, she has had a nibble on it, she seems alert and is moving around, I don't want to rush her outside with my other one and I don't want to make her 'vomit' anymore today unless I really have to, was thinking of soaked a small amount of wheat and pellets for her?
This is an excerpt from an excellent article written by @azygous . Please give this a try.

I advise against trying to make your chicken vomit because it may cause them to aspirate the sour liquid. Besides, it's very unpleasant for your hen, and she may hate you if you do it. (Curiously, most sour crop victims are hens.)

Nystatin is the best treatment for yeast infections, but it requires a prescription. Or you can try to locate medistatin which is for birds and doesn't require a prescription.

The easiest (and cheapest) to obtain yeast treatment, though, is miconazole, found on the women's hygiene shelf in the pharmacy. You can use either the suppositories or the vaginal cream. Measure a quarter inch of suppository or about half an inch of cream and give orally twice a day for seven days. Do not stop treatment before the full seven days are completed or the yeast may return.

You may see different strengths of miconazole, 2% or 4%, and wonder which to get. Either strength is fine. I prefer the 2% cream myself for economic reasons. The treatment with either strength is the same, twice and day for a full seven days.

Following treatment for sour crop, offer plenty of plain fresh water and boiled egg to get the crop operating again. I like to also give a probiotic or Greek yogurt to restore good microbes in crop and intestines.

This is an excerpt from an excellent article written by @azygous . Please give this a try.

I advise against trying to make your chicken vomit because it may cause them to aspirate the sour liquid. Besides, it's very unpleasant for your hen, and she may hate you if you do it. (Curiously, most sour crop victims are hens.)

Nystatin is the best treatment for yeast infections, but it requires a prescription. Or you can try to locate medistatin which is for birds and doesn't require a prescription.

The easiest (and cheapest) to obtain yeast treatment, though, is miconazole, found on the women's hygiene shelf in the pharmacy. You can use either the suppositories or the vaginal cream. Measure a quarter inch of suppository or about half an inch of cream and give orally twice a day for seven days. Do not stop treatment before the full seven days are completed or the yeast may return.

You may see different strengths of miconazole, 2% or 4%, and wonder which to get. Either strength is fine. I prefer the 2% cream myself for economic reasons. The treatment with either strength is the same, twice and day for a full seven days.

Following treatment for sour crop, offer plenty of plain fresh water and boiled egg to get the crop operating again. I like to also give a probiotic or Greek yogurt to restore good microbes in crop and intestines.

To be honest I really didn't like doing it, I went through with it because yesterday I noticed fluid coming out of her mouth and when I picked her up it came gushing out without me doing anything, leading up to that day she was showing signs of vent fleet to I was treating her for that, I went through a tube of canestan thrush cream, you suggest using miconazole cream orally? Is that ok to give them it in that way? Is that what's normally used for athletes foot?

To be honest I really didn't like doing it, I went through with it because yesterday I noticed fluid coming out of her mouth and when I picked her up it came gushing out without me doing anything, leading up to that day she was showing signs of vent fleet to I was treating her for that, I went through a tube of canestan thrush cream, you suggest using miconazole cream orally? Is that ok to give them it in that way? Is that what's normally used for athletes foot?
The excerpt above is from the article I linked. Please click on it and give it a read. It is great information.
Miconazole is an anti-fungal used to treat vaginal yeast infections. Yes, it is safe to give that to them orally.
If your hen had an overgrowth of yeast that gave her vent gleet it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that she also has an overgrowth of yeast in her upper GI tract.
The information found in the linked article is how I would pursue treatment.

The excerpt above is from the article I linked. Please click on it and give it a read. It is great information.
Miconazole is an anti-fungal used to treat vaginal yeast infections. Yes, it is safe to give that to them orally.
If your hen had an overgrowth of yeast that gave her vent gleet it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that she also has an overgrowth of yeast in her upper GI tract.
The information found in the linked article is how I would pursue treatment.
Oh ok, the cream Daktarin which is for athletes foot contain it, so I might give that ago, I appreciate your advice, thankyou

Oh ok, the cream Daktarin which is for athletes foot contain it, so I might give that ago, I appreciate your advice, thankyou

I picked up some Daktarin Gold it contains Ketoconazole, would that work?

Attachments

• IMG_5846.PNG
    IMG_5846.PNG
    123.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom