Sour crop

Michellemcg

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2020
Hi all.
is there a cure for sour crop other than making the chicken vomit? My girl has been battling this boggy, water balloon feeling crop for going on two weeks. We currently have her isolated in the run, away from free access to food, but full access to water, and we’ve been giving garlic water every 2/3 hours for the last 24 hours and have added some kefir as well. Her crop will not go down, and everytime we open her beak, she has fluid in her mouth. We have treated for 7 days with monistat and massages. We’re first time backyard chicken farmers, but I’m not sure when we should add soft food when her crop is still full of liquid. Please help!!

Can you get some photos of her poop?
How old is she?

Often there is an underlying condition that causes a slowing of crop function. Does she lay eggs? Any swelling/fluid in the abdomen? Has she been de-wormed?

I would not massage a crop that is sour. Don't feed anything that is hard to process (scratch, veggies, seeds, etc.) Soft wet feed and a treat of scrambled egg is o.k.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Can you get some photos of her poop?
How old is she?

Often there is an underlying condition that causes a slowing of crop function. Does she lay eggs? Any swelling/fluid in the abdomen? Has she been de-wormed?

I would not massage a crop that is sour. Don't feed anything that is hard to process (scratch, veggies, seeds, etc.) Soft wet feed and a treat of scrambled egg is o.k.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
She’s a little over a year old. She does lay but not consistently, and her eggs are always strange: egg inside of an egg, double yolks, soft shells, and she hasn’t laid for a couple of weeks before this all started. We haven’t dewormed, just used diatomaceous earth. How do I worm? Her crop this morning, thank God, for the first time since this all began is about the size of a golf ball vs the size of a grapefruit!! Thank you for responding. I’ve messaged the original poster of the link that you sent me too, and we’ve been doing monistat as well as she suggests.

She’s a little over a year old. She does lay but not consistently, and her eggs are always strange: egg inside of an egg, double yolks, soft shells, and she hasn’t laid for a couple of weeks before this all started. We haven’t dewormed, just used diatomaceous earth. How do I worm? Her crop this morning, thank God, for the first time since this all began is about the size of a golf ball vs the size of a grapefruit!! Thank you for responding. I’ve messaged the original poster of the link that you sent me too, and we’ve been doing monistat as well as she suggests.
You can use Safeguard to de-worm, but if you are in a pm with Carol, then ask her thoughts on that.

Back
Top Bottom