Sour Crop

Melissa Malone

Chirping
Jun 30, 2021
Coloma, California
So I have a hen that is acting a little lethargic. I noticed that she didnt go into the coop and spent the night in the run. Shes eating a bit and drinking. I checked her to see if shes egg bound, she isnt. Then I checked her crop. Its very soft and squishy. I did try to empty the crop by massaging her upside down and she did spit up some contents. Ive been giving her yogurt, ACV in their water. Any other suggestions that I can try for her?

It is dangerous to empty the crop by turning the chicken upside down. Even massaging a soft and puffy crop can cause aspiration/choking. Is there a sour or bad odor from the beak when you feel of the crop? How old is she, and does she lay eggs? Is her tail position up or down? Do you provide granite poultry grit for digestion? What have you been feeding? Can you feel a soft puffy crop early in the morning after she has gone all night without eating or drinking? If a sour crop is suspected, you can try to give some chilled coconut oil cut into pieces to peck. Some also use miconazole (Monistat 7) cream orally twice a day in case of fungal/yeast infection. If a vet is possible familiar with chickens, that might be your best bet. Here is a good article about crop disorders:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

It is dangerous to empty the crop by turning the chicken upside down. Even massaging a soft and puffy crop can cause aspiration/choking. Is there a sour or bad odor from the beak when you feel of the crop? How old is she, and does she lay eggs? Is her tail position up or down? Do you provide granite poultry grit for digestion? What have you been feeding? Can you feel a soft puffy crop early in the morning after she has gone all night without eating or drinking? If a sour crop is suspected, you can try to give some chilled coconut oil cut into pieces to peck. Some also use miconazole (Monistat 7) cream orally twice a day in case of fungal/yeast infection. If a vet is possible familiar with chickens, that might be your best bet. Here is a good article about crop disorders:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
She is about 7 months old, Im pretty sure she was laying eggs. I have 14 hens and im getting about 10-12 eggs a day so im guessing yes. this morning her crop was squishy, but im not really smelling a bad smell. Her tail position is lowered and not in normal position. I feed them purina layena chicken feed. In the mornings i mix it with a little flax, oats with warm water to moisten it. I usually add a little amount of either, scrambled eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, blueberries. I do provide chick grit in the run area and i sometimes let them out to free range in the evening but only when im out there due to all the predators we have around. I will get some coconut oil today and try that, and I was seeing the the monistte 7 cream is talked about so ill try some of that. thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom