Sour crop?

I have a two-year old hen that began having an issue with diarrhea last year. For months now, I've been treating her with one antibiotic after another trying to get what I assumed to be an infection under control.

Last week, I thought about worming her just on principle since she had never been wormed and it couldn't hurt. So she got a round of Safeguard. I will start her on the second round today.

The result of the first worming have been surprising as I didn't really think worming was going to help since I've never seen signs of worms or even any behavior that would indicate worms. Her diarrhea has miraculously cleared up.

Worming is safe and can't hurt. You can do it along with other meds. The wormer only acts as a sedative on any worms that may be present in the intestines. It won't hurt the chicken. It's one thing that should be tried in most cases of a sick chicken. If your hen has worms, it would be consistent with her symptoms, causing a slowdown of crop function. I suggest giving it a try.

Late to the game here...I hope your hen is doing well. I have treated impacted and sour crops very successfully and naturally.
I with hold food for a day or 2. I give garlic water with a syringe...if there is impaction as well I will syringe olive oil or coconut oil ..whatever you have, and massage the crop.
I also will syringe dry red wine 3 times a day, same with garlic. Then start with plain yogurt and oats once crop is completely empty...see how they do...then add scrambled egg...I continue the wine/garlic water/plain yogurt for a few more days until they are back on regular feed and acting normal.
I have had red wine clear a sour crop and aid in emptying an impaction (using oil)...you will see improvement overnite
I had one hen, she lost almost ½ her weight before I hit in this treatment ..she perked right up after being sick and nearly dying for over a week. I keep them in a dog crate with straw in the garage and only once supplimented with a little heat.

Last edited:
Has this young lady been wormed any time recently?
Yes, I dewormed the flock with Levasol at the end of December. We had a lot of warm wet weather so I figured it would be wise. And they are dewormed every six months anyway on a regular basis. We don't usually have a problem anymore with worms, though there's the occasional exception.

Late to the game here...I hope your hen is doing well. I have treated impacted and sour crops very successfully and naturally.
I with hold food for a day or 2. I give garlic water with a syringe...if there is impaction as well I will syringe olive oil or coconut oil ..whatever you have, and massage the crop.
I also will syringe dry red wine 3 times a day, same with garlic. Then start with plain yogurt and oats once crop is completely empty...see how they do...then add scrambled egg...I continue the wine/garlic water/plain yogurt for a few more days until they are back on regular feed and acting normal.
I have had red wine clear a sour crop and aid in emptying an impaction (using oil)...you will see improvement overnite
I had one hen, she lost almost ½ her weight before I hit in this treatment ..she perked right up after being sick and nearly dying for over a week. I keep them in a dog crate with straw in the garage and only once supplimented with a little heat.
Wow! How does the wine affect the chicken? I massaged her crop this morning, and gave her a little refrigerated coconut oil and also some Medistatin. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and try deworming her with Safeguard, because sometimes a bird just won't get enough dewormer if we deworm the flock as a whole. But she's not acting like she has worms...normally they are lethargic if they have worms. She acts pretty bright...and her crop doesn't feel impacted...it is moving but she just poops water and little bits of fecal matter. And the weird thing is, that after she finished the antibiotic, (that she was on for her cough)..she was back to totally normal for a few days. Then, as I said above, she started to decline after the antibiotic wore off. That's why I was wondering......Anyway, she has no more cough, and i am thinking maybe she inhaled some regurgitated water and that's what started the respiratory infection she had.

I collected enough to hopefully be able to have my vet do a fecal, just to make sure. Hopefully it's sufficient. Otherwise, just trying to carry on with standard treatment. She's still quite bright, just drinking too much and barely eating. I've added the refrigerated coconut oil to her food, because she is just horrible to try to syringe or force feed anything...she'd rather kill me first, lol. I will try the stool softener today but not sure of how much to give? That I will have to force feed her, i'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom