Sour crop

Donolson

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2023
Hello, I couldn’t find any threads on sour crop. The research I’ve done included “emptying” the crop before other treatments and although I’ve had success with that I’ve also had a horrible experience with it. Does anyone have a safe, effective and relatively fast way of helping your hen get over this? Any advice or successes would be appreciated. One of my favorite hens is not doing so well. Thank you!

Give this article a read.

Get some generic miconazole from the women's health section at WalMart.
1690577286385.png

Start your hen on a treatment of 1/4 suppository every 12 hours for 6 days then give about 1/2" of the cream every 12 hours for another 1-4 days.

For the first 3 days, I only give fresh water and offer scrambled eggs with tuna or sardines and a few drops of poultry supplement. You can also offer water with ACV in it on the side. You want her drinking so she might not want the water with ACV.
After the first few days of treatment, offer a wet mash of her normal feed.

Keep a close eye on her for lethargy and watch her poops. If the yeast has gone all the way through her system it can cause vent gleet and a secondary bacterial infection that may need treatment as well.

Back
Top Bottom