1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sour-dough Question

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Cats Critters, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I have some started it's in the refrigerator right now, my Question is the recipe says to feed and use one cup of starter every two weeks, can I use it more often then that and just replenish (add more flour,etc.) it?

2. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    Yes, you can most definitely use it more often than every 2 weeks!
    Assuming you keep your starter in the fridge between baking days:

- take the starter out of the fridge and let it sit out at room temperature for about 2 hours to warm up

- then, feed your starter with equal parts of flour and water, stir well, beating with a fork or spoon to get some air into the starter

- let the starter "work" and expand for 2-4 hours, at the end of this time it should be very active (bubbles on surface) and expanded somewhat in the container

- now you can measure out the starter needed for your recipe (usually this is about a cup) and make & bake your recipe

- after taking out what you need for your recipe, you can cover the container (glass or pottery - NO METAL) of starter and store in the fridge until the next time you want to bake a sourdough recipe

- if you only have a few tablespoons of starter left in the container, you can feed it again, let it work another 2-4 hours, then store in the fridge.

Hope this helps!
    Teresa (peepless)

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by