Here are some pictures of her. They arent the best so please tell me if yall need a better angle. My phone doenst have the best camera. You can see she just wants to sleep all the time. When I first got her she was the most adventurous and quite the troublemaker. She was also the leader of my group of three chicks and the biggest of the trio. Now she is the smallest and least active.
20201207_102716.jpg
20201207_102716.jpg
20201207_102812.jpg

Is she pooping? It can be common for chicks to peck at wood shavings. Hopefully her crop is not impacted. Sour crop is unlikely at this age, but they can an impacted crop from eating bedding. Impacted crop feel hard and looks very full. Chickens will peck at chips of coconut oil that has been refrigerated and chopped into small pieces. That can be a safe way to give some oil if the crop is hard. Water is one of the most important things to help with a crop impaction. Dip it’s beak into water repeatedly to get it drinking and swallowing.

Is she pooping? It can be common for chicks to peck at wood shavings. Hopefully her crop is not impacted. Sour crop is unlikely at this age, but they can an impacted crop from eating bedding. Impacted crop feel hard and looks very full. Chickens will peck at chips of coconut oil that has been refrigerated and chopped into small pieces. That can be a safe way to give some oil if the crop is hard. Water is one of the most important things to help with a crop impaction. Dip it’s beak into water repeatedly to get it drinking and swallowing.
I saw her poop twice a few minutes ago, but it was very small and diarrea. I have a feeling she ate some wood chips and that's what the problem is. I will try the coconut oil. I've been using olive oil in a small syringe, but how much am I supposed to be giving her? Also, should I isolate her?? Her crop does feel hard and full.

I would leave her with the others. A small chick could handle 1/2 tsp, but giving olive oil orally can be dangerous if they aspirate it. You can cover your pine shavings with paper towel to help prevent it from eating the shavings. On top of the paper towel you can sprinkle a few chick crumbles around her feet which may get her eating. Do you have a heat source, and what is the temperature under it?

I would leave her with the others. A small chick could handle 1/2 tsp, but giving olive oil orally can be dangerous if they aspirate it. You can cover your pine shavings with paper towel to help prevent it from eating the shavings. On top of the paper towel you can sprinkle a few chick crumbles around her feet which may get her eating. Do you have a heat source, and what is the temperature under it?
Thanks for the advice! I have a heat lamp over their box. It's about 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit. And it's cold today so they're all huddled up under it

Back
Top Bottom