Griff63

Chirping
Dec 3, 2020
Hello all. Some of you may remember I posted Thursday about a 1 week old chick named Fern who was lethargic and seemingly dying. She is my first chick ever, so of course I panicked and began researching right away as well as posted on this forum and got some much needed help from this community. I first treated for cocci, but this didnt seem to work and I kept researching. It's been almost 4 days now, and I'm almost certain Fern has a crop-related issue, but I'm not sure if it is sour or impacted crop. My first geuss would be impacted crop, since Fern likes to eat the pine shaving bedding I have in her box. She is lethargic and always sleepy, but she does eat and drink a little each day. For the first day I didnt treat for a crop issue because I thought it was corid, but on the second day I treated for a crop issue by using olive oil. The next day, she was much better! I could tell definite improvement. I didnt give her as much oil that day. The day after that she was back to being sluggish :/. I dont want to give up on her yet. I'm going to keep treating for impacted crop and hopefully see some improvement, but should I be doing something different or treat for both impacted and sour crop? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for reading all this.

Hello all. Some of you may remember I posted Thursday about a 1 week old chick named Fern who was lethargic and seemingly dying. She is my first chick ever, so of course I panicked and began researching right away as well as posted on this forum and got some much needed help from this community. I first treated for cocci, but this didnt seem to work and I kept researching. It's been almost 4 days now, and I'm almost certain Fern has a crop-related issue, but I'm not sure if it is sour or impacted crop. My first geuss would be impacted crop, since Fern likes to eat the pine shaving bedding I have in her box. She is lethargic and always sleepy, but she does eat and drink a little each day. For the first day I didnt treat for a crop issue because I thought it was corid, but on the second day I treated for a crop issue by using olive oil. The next day, she was much better! I could tell definite improvement. I didnt give her as much oil that day. The day after that she was back to being sluggish :/. I dont want to give up on her yet. I'm going to keep treating for impacted crop and hopefully see some improvement, but should I be doing something different or treat for both impacted and sour crop? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for reading all this.
If the chick had sour crop, the chick's breath would smell sour like sour milk.

Impacted crop is caused by a blockage, & usually feels hard, or somewhat hard if the bird recently drank water.

How does the crop feel? & do you offer chick grit?

If the chick had sour crop, the chick's breath would smell sour like sour milk.

Impacted crop is caused by a blockage, & usually feels hard, or somewhat hard if the bird recently drank water.

How does the crop feel? & do you offer chick grit?
The crop feels different at different times. Because I'm new to this, I'm not exactly sure how it is supposed to feel, but I would describe it as really hard at some points and slightly squishy at others. When I checked last it was really hard. I dont smell anything, but I haven't really tried smelling in her mouth or anything. I offered them chick grit a day ago. I just hammered down some granite and quartz rocks I found in my backyard into very fine peices and sprinkled some on top of their food.

At her age I would concentrate on giving her some daily Poultry NutriDrench and getting her to eat a little mushy wet chick feed and some extra water. Make sure that she is pooping. It is hard to check a chick’s crop since they eat round the clock. Does it seem smaller after she has slept, and fuller when she has eaten?

Chicks do not need grit if they are only eating chick starter and water. Later when they are on grass and perhaps eating other things you can start grit, but put it in a separate container. Poultry granite grit is available in both chick size and adult.

Chicks do not need grit if they are only eating chick starter and water. Later when they are on grass and perhaps eating other things you can start grit, but put it in a separate container. Poultry granite grit is available in both chick size and adult.
They mentioned eating wood chips, one reason I mentioned grit.

Back
Top Bottom