Source for day old chick fowl pox vaccine?

annagoodspeed

Songster
7 Years
Jan 24, 2017
Central Idaho 3000 ft
So, pretty sure that fowl pox is working its way through the flock, small black sores on combs, one swollen shut eye, and now another with a swollen eye kind of oozy with a yellowish scabby area next to the bottom lid. Today seeing some wet pox symptoms, kind of a repeated coughing and some open mouth breathing in a few birds.The first one with a shut eye recovered in a couple days, so hoping that the rest will get through it, too late to vaccinate them, all have been exposed to each other. Probably not the best idea I ever had to have a songbird feeder where the hens can roam, from what I have found online, that, plus all the quail around here, could be a vector for spring time transmission?
I am expecting some chicks and am also hatching, and think it would be prudent to vaccinate those when they arrive or hatch. I can only keep them separate, indoors, from the flock area for a couple weeks with the facilities I have, then they will be fenced from direct contact with the flock, but in the same coop and pasture. All the vaccines say administer at eight weeks except for Chick-N-Pox. The only sources that come up are Jeffers, who is out, and there is a place called Hilltop that is showing up, but it gives no shipping information regarding refrigeration etc. Any more sources you know of?
Is Hilltop ok?
Does anyone have experience with this kind of situation, would you vaccinate, in general the flock seems healthy and is laying well, but hate to lose any chicks. Will the chicks I am hatching already be infected? Maybe just do the ones being shipped? Thanks a bundle!

Annagoodspeed did you ever find a vaccine for day old chicks? I can only find the live vaccines that say to be used at 8 weeks. I have unrelated chicks that are cooped up in the brooder because the older flock has pox right now. I wanted to vaccinate the chicks before moving them to the grow out pen, but I can't seem to find what I need. Any help would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom