Source for Japanese bantam?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by columbiacritter, Jan 24, 2009.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    We just want some nice pets, not dieing for show quality birds to start with. Mainly my husband wants black tail buffs, but he's willing to have a variety.

We were considering either My Pet Chicken or Strombergs. Any other recommendations?

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    cackle hatchery has them also, but i have not used them before.

3. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I got mine from Ideal hatchery...They have been sweet pets. Black tailed buff.

4. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    [​IMG] If you find some nice Black tailed buff let me know! I cant find real good ones anywhere! I have black tailed whites but still working on fertility.

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

We have one Black Tailed Buff. She's very skitish, but a nice addition to our flock. We got her from McMurray, but I wouldn't suggest them due to the fact that they don't sex their banties. We learned that the hard way, which would explain our poor 3 roos to 10 hens ratio. [​IMG]

6. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I think we're going to try My Pet Chicken and see what their quality is like. Black tailed buffs and maybe a grey or two.

7. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    McMurray carries them -- black-tailed buff, black-tailed white, white, and black. I have four black-tailed white roos that are from them, and they aren't "SQ" but are handsome and good natured.

They are also the quietest roosters I've ever had. In the time I've had them they only cluck softly (I almost wondered if they were hens with oversized tails and combs!) and one of them crowed ONCE. And even when it did, it was soft.

Wonder whether that is typical of this breed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by