Sources for meat rabbits?

For my money, New Zealand Whites are the best choice. Large, fast growing bunnies and processors generally pay more for white-furred rabbits. Californians are also popular for meat rabbits, though I guess you can eat just about any kind.

Lots of people will sell you rabbits for 5 bucks each, but if you are going to be breeding them to raise the young for meat, you will want the best genetic stock you can get. You may pay up to 50 bucks each and you will need to find a reputable breeder. He or she will recognize the qualities that make a good breeder and select those few bunnies to sell as breeding stock. The rest will be sold as pets or meat. You do not want to buy from a rabbit grower with a grow-out pen of full of young who tells you to pick whichever you like since they will all be good breeders. Very few bunnies would be selected by a knowledgable breeder to become part of his or her herd.

A good place to start looking for a reputable breeder is through the website of the American Rabbit Breeders Association Visit the rabbitry and if the place doesn't look clean and tidy, then leave immediately without any bunnies as sloppy housing equates with unhealthy rabbits, in my opinion.

Wayne

I have silver fox rabbits, that I plan to use for meat and fur. I found the breed on the heritage breed list.

I picked the rabbit that I liked the look of and got really sweet rabbits from someone who spoils their rabbits.

i think new zealand and flemish are the best its what i have and they grow out really well I really like the flemish the best tho they seem to grow the quickest

Back
Top Bottom