South Carolina

Joneus,

Park Circle is close to both the Air Force and Navy base and has an elementary school with a Montessori program. There are a couple of new neighborhoods going up if you weren't up for an older house in the older part of town- Mixson and Oak Terrace Preserve. I hear a rooster crowing right off of the main street of the downtown part all the time so it has to be chicken friendly!

My husband got orders to Charleston. We're moving there this fall. My first response to this news? "I'm not giving up my chickens. They're going with us."

So... fellow flock keepers. I need advice on where to start our search for a house in the Goose Creek/North Charleston area. We need to be within a 30-ish minute drive to the base in a rural chicken-friendly area with a good elementary school.

Thoughts? Suggestions?? We're bringing a 7yo son, 2 dogs, a cat and 11 hens (7 EE's, 4 bantams). I'm aware of a couple of the ordinances ("no more than 10 chickens" and the "no chickens running 'at large'." in Summerville) and those are not a problem (if #11 is really THAT big of a deal, I'll let my 2 seramas be "house chickens"). I've been looking at houses online, but its hard to get a feel for the area just from the pictures, kwim?

Any help anyone can give me would be hugely appreciated! Thank you!

If you want more land than a regular plot you may want to look towards Moncks Corner too. We lived there a decade ago. Land/houses were cheap and it took us about 15 minutes to get to the bases/commissary. I'll have to look up what the short cut was, but there was one that went by some factories near the water and really cut down on traffic and drive time. If you want more of the shopping, schools, etc, then Goose Creek or Summerville are better bets, just more expensive. Welcome to SC!

Last edited:
hey i live in the upstate, does anybody have 2 buff orpington pullets for sale? these are the birds i want next but my local store keeps selling out of them. Id be willing to drive to pick them up for a resonable price. Day old or older but not ancient lol

thanks kristen

For the heck of it, anybody in the upstate know where to get layers mash? Thanks

Williams Feed in Campobello. Last time I picked up feed it was $11 for a 50lb feed sack. The price varies though out the year - most I ever paid I think was $11.25 (for layer mash). They sell feed for everything - pigs, poultry, even dogs. Though the dog food is made in Georgia I believe.

Last edited:

After EIGHT MONTHS of having chickens and on our second flock we finally got our first egg! Happy day!

PS - RedBugPoultry - It was our Dominique that laid first. I was surprised because she is two weeks younger than the Australorp and was showing fewer signs. The Australorp has full, bright red comb and wattle and has been singing an egg song for several weeks. Hopefully she's not far behind!

Does anyone in the Lowcountry/Charleston area order organic layer feed or, even better, know of a local place to buy it? I have searched high and low so I would really appreciate any tips if you've got them!

After EIGHT MONTHS of having chickens and on our second flock we finally got our first egg! Happy day!

PS - RedBugPoultry - It was our Dominique that laid first. I was surprised because she is two weeks younger than the Australorp and was showing fewer signs. The Australorp has full, bright red comb and wattle and has been singing an egg song for several weeks. Hopefully she's not far behind!

The first egg I ever got years ago, I ran into the house woke my wife up and we split it!!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom