South Carolina

So disappointed. Got a call from the hatchery I ordered chicks from. I will not be getting the jersey giant
sad.png
I was so looking forward to getting four chicks. Guess I will have to scout the area for chicks and get one or two or three...
wink.png

It's a shame you weren't at chicken stock over the weekend. I picked up three. Anyone know the name of the gentleman I got the two black pullets from? He had chicks!

How soon can I move my babies from my laundry room to their coop? I feel like they will be jumping out of the brooder in another week. It's crazy how fast they're growing!

in south Carolina huh?

well I usually put mine out in the youngling coop after two weeks to harden them off. You have to make that call. If they are huge, its a good sign they will survive.

Thanks. So far my experience with them, even though it has only been a few days, has been somewhat different from what I've read here. I had the brooder at 95 degrees when they arrived and they were plastered to the sides. Seemed like they were hot. They have been very comfortable between 85 and 90 degrees. It leads me to believe that I won't have to wait quite so many weeks to put them outside. Thanks for sharing. This is definitely a learning experience.

How soon can I move my babies from my laundry room to their coop? I feel like they will be jumping out of the brooder in another week. It's crazy how fast they're growing!

I move mine outside between 2-3 weeks old. No matter what time of year it is. As soon as they have there wing and tail feathers time to go. When you put them outside they will love it. They will grow and feather faster outside. Had around 100 chicks and chickens last spring. Never lost one.

I keep the heat lamp as chicks on one side of my brooder. They will adjust where to sleep and sit as needed. After around a week or so I will start turning the heat lamp off during the day. At around 2 weeks I turn it off all together. That way they also get use to darkness at night. Really helps then when you put them outside. There not afraid of the dark. lol

I move mine outside between 2-3 weeks old. No matter what time of year it is. As soon as they have there wing and tail feathers time to go. When you put them outside they will love it. They will grow and feather faster outside. Had around 100 chicks and chickens last spring. Never lost one. 

I keep the heat lamp as chicks on one side of my brooder. They will adjust where to sleep and sit as needed. After around a week or so I will start turning the heat lamp off during the day. At around 2 weeks I turn it off all together. That way they also get use to darkness at night. Really helps then when you put them outside. There not afraid of the dark. lol

Thank you! That really makes me feel better.

Back
Top Bottom