South Carolina

Gorgeous Black Copper Marans Rooster - Free to a Good Home!

Hi – I’m Cynthia, a newbie backyard chicken parent in Upstate SC. Henny Penny showed up in July 2022 and stayed. We thought we’d like a few hens once we retired, but that little stray accelerated the process. As the name (which stuck) implies, we mistook Henny for a “she” but crowing and beautiful saddle & hackle feathers later explained why the shiny new nesting box wasn’t used. Henny Penny ate treats from our hands and pecked at the door for more. He’s grown into a magnificent big boy. Best guess 15 or so months?

We added 3 mixed pullets in November to give him company (one each RIR, Barred Plymouth Rock & Welsummer) and Henny takes his roostering seriously, to the point of wearing off some back feathers. So, we recently added 4 more to the flock to boost the rooster-to-hen ratio up to 1 rooster to 7 hens (one each Black Copper Marans, Olive Egger, Americauna and White Face Black Spanish.) Henny tidbits, feeds his favs beak-to-beak, always gives the gals first dibs on treats, vigilantly warns of hawks or other threats, and gallantly stands guard while girls are laying. Recently, when a hawk was circling overhead, he shepherded the gals to safety, marched to the middle of the yard, and stood bravely looking up at the sky. He’s become so protective now he won’t let us get close to the ladies anymore – at least so far during this first mating season.

Annnnnd… one of our new “pullets” has morphed into a cockerel. That’s not going down well at all and puts us back to the same rooster-to-hen ratio with only 3 hens for each rooster. Today Henny tried to kill Conchita - the cockerel.

It's heartbreaking, but we urgently need to rehome Henny. We'd love to find a situation where he’ll have lots of ladies to care for and won’t be confined to a cage or small run. During the day, Henny and our gals free-range a large, fenced area with trees, shrubs and flowerbeds for dust-bathing. He’s had organic feed.

I know there are so many unwanted roosters - that's how we accidentally got into all this, because of an abandoned rooster. But I'm hoping that perhaps someone wants to breed Black Copper Marans, or cross him with blue layers for Olive Eggers, or has a larger mixed flock that would appreciate Henny’s protection and attentions? If so, Henny’s your fella. We're in Travelers Rest, SC area in the Upstate.

Attachments

• Henny 2.jpg
    Henny 2.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2054.jpg
    IMG_2054.jpg
    678 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8002 sq.jpg
    IMG_8002 sq.jpg
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 8
Gorgeous Black Copper Marans Rooster - Free to a Good Home!

Hi – I’m Cynthia, a newbie backyard chicken parent in Upstate SC. Henny Penny showed up in July 2022 and stayed. We thought we’d like a few hens once we retired, but that little stray accelerated the process. As the name (which stuck) implies, we mistook Henny for a “she” but crowing and beautiful saddle & hackle feathers later explained why the shiny new nesting box wasn’t used. Henny Penny ate treats from our hands and pecked at the door for more. He’s grown into a magnificent big boy. Best guess 15 or so months?

We added 3 mixed pullets in November to give him company (one each RIR, Barred Plymouth Rock & Welsummer) and Henny takes his roostering seriously, to the point of wearing off some back feathers. So, we recently added 4 more to the flock to boost the rooster-to-hen ratio up to 1 rooster to 7 hens (one each Black Copper Marans, Olive Egger, Americauna and White Face Black Spanish.) Henny tidbits, feeds his favs beak-to-beak, always gives the gals first dibs on treats, vigilantly warns of hawks or other threats, and gallantly stands guard while girls are laying. Recently, when a hawk was circling overhead, he shepherded the gals to safety, marched to the middle of the yard, and stood bravely looking up at the sky. He’s become so protective now he won’t let us get close to the ladies anymore – at least so far during this first mating season.

Annnnnd… one of our new “pullets” has morphed into a cockerel. That’s not going down well at all and puts us back to the same rooster-to-hen ratio with only 3 hens for each rooster. Today Henny tried to kill Conchita - the cockerel.

It's heartbreaking, but we urgently need to rehome Henny. We'd love to find a situation where he’ll have lots of ladies to care for and won’t be confined to a cage or small run. During the day, Henny and our gals free-range a large, fenced area with trees, shrubs and flowerbeds for dust-bathing. He’s had organic feed.

I know there are so many unwanted roosters - that's how we accidentally got into all this, because of an abandoned rooster. But I'm hoping that perhaps someone wants to breed Black Copper Marans, or cross him with blue layers for Olive Eggers, or has a larger mixed flock that would appreciate Henny’s protection and attentions? If so, Henny’s your fella. We're in Travelers Rest, SC area in the Upstate.
Welcome :). We are only about 15 minutes from Traveler's Rest, but we have a head rooster already and ended up with several cockerels from our recent hatch. Henny sounds like a great protector, and I hope he finds a new flock he can enjoy.

Black-faced White Spanish pullet-who-morphed-into-a-pullet Conchita is a pure joy. Unfortunately, we have a small flock and our big rooster's making life hell for Conchita. Looking for a loving home with free ranging ASAP. Comes with bag of favorite treats. In Upstate near Travelers Rest.

Attachments

• IMG_3084 st.jpg
    IMG_3084 st.jpg
    833.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2922 st.jpg
    IMG_2922 st.jpg
    848.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Looking for a home.jpg
    Looking for a home.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Hello All- We are located in the Charleston, SC area and looking for a loving home for two rescued Muscovy drakes. We rescued them last year as they were imprinted ducklings- the white drake was born in April of 2022, and the gray and white drake born in August of 2022. We consider them pets and part of our family, but unfortunately the bachelor pad is not working out. The gray and white drake needs to be around females; he has been bullying and trying to mate the white drake since January and we have been trying hard for nine months to remedy the situation but nothing has worked. We are unable to take in females (or more waterfowl) per our county restrictions.
They are both very sweet and social (the white I would say is extremely social!) and comfortable with humans, dogs, and cats. I truly believe they would coexist well again (they did before the hormones kicked in strong!) if the gray and white drake was able to mate.
Please message me if interested- we are willing to travel a reasonable amount to get them to the right home that will also see them as pets! Also, I would appreciate any ideas you may have in rehoming them responsibily.
Thank you!
tempImageyXGc3y.jpg
tempImagesboHTc.jpg
tempImagemny4CE.jpg

Hello All- We are located in the Charleston, SC area and looking for a loving home for two rescued Muscovy drakes. We rescued them last year as they were imprinted ducklings- the white drake was born in April of 2022, and the gray and white drake born in August of 2022. We consider them pets and part of our family, but unfortunately the bachelor pad is not working out. The gray and white drake needs to be around females; he has been bullying and trying to mate the white drake since January and we have been trying hard for nine months to remedy the situation but nothing has worked. We are unable to take in females (or more waterfowl) per our county restrictions.
They are both very sweet and social (the white I would say is extremely social!) and comfortable with humans, dogs, and cats. I truly believe they would coexist well again (they did before the hormones kicked in strong!) if the gray and white drake was able to mate.
Please message me if interested- we are willing to travel a reasonable amount to get them to the right home that will also see them as pets! Also, I would appreciate any ideas you may have in rehoming them responsibily.
Thank you!
View attachment 3633972View attachment 3633973View attachment 3633974
I wish we could take them! I love ducks, especially friendly ones.

Looking for homes for 3 cockerels that were supposed to be pullets. They are supposed to be crested cream legbars, but one has no crest and could be an Easter egger mix of some type. I don't have enough room or hens for 5 roosters. They are free to anyone who wants to pick up in Conway. Unfortunately my car has broken down and I can't meet and it's taking much longer to finish the coop then it was supposed to.
Pictures have disappeared off my tablet, so it'll have to take more later.

The boys I'm trying to re home . Sorry, Everytime I try to mark pictures it gets all pixelated.

Attachments

• 20230916_162258~2.jpg
    20230916_162258~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230916_162303~2.jpg
    20230916_162303~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230916_162338~2.jpg
    20230916_162338~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
I have a duck male and female sibling pair looking for a home. They were hatched out by my broody duck and raised together. The drake is a Buff/Saxony/WH/KC and the female is an Ancona, possibly mixed. Located in Taylors. They are 11 weeks old.

20230919_182356.jpg

Back
Top Bottom