South Carolina

I crave that humongous garden!! I made two small raised beds....then called my realtor to be on the hunt for a house on a bigger lot!!
BTW, did you bring in topsoil? My soil is all clay. I'm new to clay soil!

All my soil is clay and ROCKS!!!!! WHen making my raised bed, 10x12 I had to dig out about a ft or so down then brought in organic soil. Be care when ordering top soil. Top soil around here is just more clay!!

I crave that humongous garden!! I made two small raised beds....then called my realtor to be on the hunt for a house on a bigger lot!!
BTW, did you bring in topsoil? My soil is all clay. I'm new to clay soil!
Nope, it's just a section of the pasture we plowed up one year and keep plowed all year. All during the time when we aren't actively growing anything we add all of our 'natural' fertilizers, cow, horse, and chicken manure, and dead leaves and keep it tilled. We mainly grow okra, corn, squash, cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes, and sometimes miscellaneous plants such as peppers and watermelon. Okra and squash are my favorite
droolin.gif
I love some pan fried okra and sliced, boiled squash, both salted to perfection, during the summer months.

All my soil is clay and ROCKS!!!!! WHen making my raised bed, 10x12 I had to dig out about a ft or so down then brought in organic soil. Be care when ordering top soil. Top soil around here is just more clay!!
I made that mistake last year potting dwarf fruit trees! Was going to put them in the ground but it was impossible to dig and I found all kinds of random metal junk: plates, pipe, spikes, etc. I only needed a yard and a half, but bagged soil was crazy expensive. So I just went to the closest nursery and asked for what they used - topsoil they said. It looked good at first, but after a few rains all the color was gone and the top was crusting - mostly stupid clay. Grrrrr...

I'm going to try the raised bed method this year. Today actually. I'm in Greenville as well and yes the soil here is not user friendly. I want to at least have the tomatoes and peppers do well. It's a lovely overcast day here today. Rather cool and with a slight mist. Pefect for starting the garden bed and cleaning out the coop. Have a wonderful weekend my SC BYC friends.

Our soil is all clay too. I am hoping that all the stuff we planted today grows anyway! I guess we will see. I am not sure the smal tomato plants will make the night anyway with all the deer and rabbits around. We won't be able to get any fencing up until next weekend--yes we maybe did that in the wrong order!! Oh well--live, make mistakes, and learn(or maybe you get lucky!!)!!

Not that I am counting or anything but 3 weeks to Chickenstock!! Wooohooo!! Not that I have room for anything new nor am I selling anything but it is just so much fun!!!

Our soil is all clay too. I am hoping that all the stuff we planted today grows anyway! I guess we will see. I am not sure the smal tomato plants will make the night anyway with all the deer and rabbits around. We won't be able to get any fencing up until next weekend--yes we maybe did that in the wrong order!! Oh well--live, make mistakes, and learn(or maybe you get lucky!!)!!

Not that I am counting or anything but 3 weeks to Chickenstock!! Wooohooo!! Not that I have room for anything new nor am I selling anything but it is just so much fun!!!
WooooHoooo!! My first one! I can't wait either.

Now I'm just anxiously awaiting my ratite form from NC.

It's going to rain all week in greenville! Garden will love it...but my chooks are not! Do your chickens like the rain? I find mine hiding under the deck or dashing back to the coop...poor little birds.

It's going to rain all week in greenville! Garden will love it...but my chooks are not! Do your chickens like the rain? I find mine hiding under the deck or dashing back to the coop...poor little birds.

Mine stay under the coop if it rains too hard. They will come out here and there. The 2-3 month olds are here and there also.

I do love the rain but I really wanted to get some things done outside. Every other hour or so when it slows down, I'll run out and do a quick task and then run back inside. UGH....How about I love the rain Monday through Friday while I'm stuck at work anyway
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom