South Carolina

RockerHen - (quote not working) About barring and sexing by brightness, in short, no, they will all be dark like a purebred BR. Barring is an incomplete sex-linked dominant gene, girls can only ever have one copy so are always dark. Boys can have one or two copies. Two copies makes for the brighter barring.
Here's the 'rooster' chick (cuckoo marans x LF partridge cochin). Really slow feathering with light barring (easier to say than cuckooing haha)

Here's an example of how the rest look. This particular bird is cuckoo marans x EE.

It will be interesting to see how they turn out. I hope for a majority of hens, but if I have several roosters, no problem either. If they inherited their father's size, they should be a good table bird as well for sure.

Here's a not so great photo of him in mid-stride with some of the girls. He's very tall, and is starting to fill out nicely. He was hatched somewhere around the end of September, so he should be 8 months or getting close to 8 months, so still pretty young. I'll be interested to see how he looks in another year. His tail is pretty pitiful now
wink.png

Hi everyone! I'm from Lancaster, SC....I just joined BYC...hoping to learn more about raising chickens. I don't have any yet...still trying to convince my hubby to let me get some. I have several breeds in mind...but are there any breeds that I should avoid due to the SC heat and my inexperience? Thanks!!!

Hi everyone! I'm from Lancaster, SC....I just joined BYC...hoping to learn more about raising chickens. I don't have any yet...still trying to convince my hubby to let me get some. I have several breeds in mind...but are there any breeds that I should avoid due to the SC heat and my inexperience? Thanks!!!
welcome-byc.gif
I've raised tons and tons of different breeds over the years here and I've had success with all of them. Even the extra fluffy silkies
wink.png
As long as you provide them with something to keep them cool on the ridiculously (100+) hot days (I sometimes dunk them in water, or put frozen 2 liter bottles filled with water in with them to lay against) and give them shade and plenty of water, pretty much any breed should do fine.

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
I've raised tons and tons of different breeds over the years here and I've had success with all of them. Even the extra fluffy silkies
wink.png
As long as you provide them with something to keep them cool on the ridiculously (100+) hot days (I sometimes dunk them in water, or put frozen 2 liter bottles filled with water in with them to lay against) and give them shade and plenty of water, pretty much any breed should do fine.

X2, plus I even have Light Braham's. Never had a problem and I don't even do the frozen bottle. Water, some shade and there all fine.

Thank you RockerHen:)
You're welcome
smile.png
be careful when planning on getting 'just a few' to start out with....they'll become an addiction! You might end up like me, getting closer to 100 birds every day
hide.gif
but I couldn't be happier. I love my birds, and when you get yours, I'm sure you will too. Welcome again to the wonderful world of chickens
big_smile.png

You're welcome
smile.png
be careful when planning on getting 'just a few' to start out with....they'll become an addiction! You might end up like me, getting closer to 100 birds every day
hide.gif
but I couldn't be happier. I love my birds, and when you get yours, I'm sure you will too. Welcome again to the wonderful world of chickens
big_smile.png
gig.gif
So true. I went from 13 to 70 in a month. My DW thinks I've gone madd!
lau.gif
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom