South Carolina

Can you just hear her angry hissing and spitting?
gig.gif
Every time I check her eggs, it's like I'm reaching under a cobra. She strikes equally as fast. But she does what she has to to protect her 15 quickly growing babes
love.gif
I also have to check every day because sometimes hens from my free range flock sneak into the turkey pen to lay their eggs in the little space behind her, and of course she adopts the eggs into her pile, and I have to take them out every day despite her sputtering.

Hello.I'm John from New Jersey but about to move down there in about 2 months.I actually just got back from there Sunday.Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself since I guess Ill be in the SC forum soon enough.As of now I have 4 pullets and 3 layers. If you see a guy in a white Ford pick up heading down the highway with a chicken coop in the back and a dog hanging out the window then you'll know its me. ;)

Hello.I'm John from New Jersey but about to move down there in about 2 months.I actually just got back from there Sunday.Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself since I guess Ill be in the SC forum soon enough.As of now I have 4 pullets and 3 layers. If you see a guy in a white Ford pick up heading down the highway with a chicken coop in the back and a dog hanging out the window then you'll know its me. ;)
Hey itsbadlands...what part of SC you planning on roosting in?
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome! Glad you're joining us!

I'm gonna be moving to Fort Mill area. Was down there for Strawberry Fest. Had an awesome time.Found a house-actually two-one for my sister and one for me.Thanks for the warm welcomes.

I have an odd question for y'all. Could a flock 'vaporize' a 5 week old chick? The broody was getting a 'tude with the chick, so I figured she was done, or near done, with taking care of him. At lunch I made a small isolation enclosure with a plastic tote that only the chick could get in and out of with its own food and waterer. I released the broody and she didn't even hesitate to join the rest of the flock. He was chillin' in the the isolation box when I left for work. I saw him under the coop scratching around after work - looked to be doing okay. Last night I go to check to see if he made it back in the coop and he's gone. In the dark I end up crawling around under the coop, sifting through the coop litter, and searching around the outside of the coop. I see no way for him to have squeezed out. I searched again this morning. If the flock had eliminated him, I figure I'd find something. It's like he just disappeared!

I'm gonna be moving to Fort Mill area. Was down there for Strawberry Fest. Had an awesome time.Found a house-actually two-one for my sister and one for me.Thanks for the warm welcomes.

Hey there itsbadlands! I'm not too awful far from you. I'm in Lancaster...but Richmond,VA is my hometown. Welcome to SC and BYC!

Is the coop well enclosed? Could be a hawk/falcon/eagle/ raccoon/skunk /snake that got the little guy. That stinks.
I have an odd question for y'all.  Could a flock 'vaporize' a 5 week old chick?  The broody was getting a 'tude with the chick, so I figured she was done, or near done, with taking care of him.  At lunch I made a small isolation enclosure with a plastic tote that only the chick could get in and out of with its own food and waterer.  I released the broody and she didn't even hesitate to join the rest of the flock.  He was chillin' in the the isolation box when I left for work.  I saw him under the coop scratching around after work - looked to be doing okay.  Last night I go to check to see if he made it back in the coop and he's gone.  In the dark I end up crawling around under the coop, sifting through the coop litter, and searching around the outside of the coop.  I see no way for him to have squeezed out.  I searched again this morning.  If the flock had eliminated him, I figure I'd find something.  It's like he just disappeared! 

Back
Top Bottom