South Carolina

Silkie X oegb chicks.

That is absolutely adorable!
love.gif

Hello from Landrum! Just getting interested in the whole chicken thing. Looking at coops and a small group of 3-4 hens for my wife and me. Anyone have any suggestions on good egg laying breeds for the upstate?

Hello from Landrum! Just getting interested in the whole chicken thing. Looking at coops and a small group of 3-4 hens for my wife and me. Anyone have any suggestions on good egg laying breeds for the upstate?
Welcome! There all sorts of breed of chicken that fit that bill. We raise, Buff Orps, Barred Rocks, Dominques and have some Welsummer, Marans and Rhodebar growing out. Since the later three have not started laying, I cannot say if they are going to be good layers yet, but our Buffs, Barred and Dominques, do a fine job. Our Buffs are laying Jumbo eggs for us but that is no guarantee all Buffs will. Best Wishes on the hunt for the right chickens for your backyard.

welcome-byc.gif
If eggs are what you want, Leghorns are the most prolific layers. Egg laying machines. I also have Heritage Delawares. They lay very large eggs all year. VERY VERY friendly birds too.

Last edited:
Hi! I am down the road in the Holly Springs community, about 11 miles from the "downtown" RR tracks in Landrum.
I suggest Orpingtons, Australorps, red sex links, Easter Eggers or Marans.

Hey!!! I say Orpingtons(love them) EE's Love love them. I have Barred Rocks also great egg layers but can be bossy.
But I hate to tell ya your 3-4 hens will be soon be more more more. I started out with 7 and was happy with that....til....I now have a lot more 22.

Back
Top Bottom