South Carolina

Hey everyone,
Over the summer I took in a female Pekin duck who a neighbor was just going to dump. At the time I didn't have a fenced in area on my property so I kept her on my porch at night for the first few weeks until I got my yard fenced for her and built a pen. Around that time she sustained an injury to her foot which led to infection. To make a long story short, the vets I took her too did not properly diagnose and this led to it spreading to her joint and she now has arthritis in it. She limps but does good. I give her meloxicam when she has a bad day. While taking the advice of the initial vets, she was isolated and became depressed. So I got her two companions, another 2 female pekins. This did cheer her up and they do great together. However, I have never owned ducks and feel like I'm in over my head.
I was trying to do the right thing by taking her in so she wasn't dumped and then got thrown into a lengthy treatment process with the vet.
I'm exhausted and feel like someone with more time and experience with ducks may provide them a better, more attentive home.
I do independent animal rescue but never dealt with ducks and given the number of dogs and cats I've worked with this year, I'm just overwhelmed and burning out.

I am hoping to find someone to take in The Girls. They are great and each have interesting personalities.
Linda: the one I originally took in and who has the arthritis. She's also the undisputed leader. Funniest little personality. Unsure of age, but the vet estimated 2 years old.
Mabel and Daisy: Mabel is a jumbo pekin, I believe. Daisy is a regular pekin. I got these two from an overcrowded farm. They came together and stick together even now. Daisy is a bit more wary of people but seems very curious about other animals.
I have two cats and a dog and they have done well around the other animals, even if they are a bit wary at first.

I live in South Carolina but would be willing to make a drive, 2-3 hours if needed, to ensure they go to a great home.

ISO Rooster, golden laced wyandotte

Hi friends, I think we lost out Golden Laced Wyandotte rooster to a predator today. His hen is so sad looking for him. He was so friendly and easy to pick up and pet. The two of them were always together and he is gone without a trace so she is sleeping by herself tonight. I feel so bad for her.

Back
Top Bottom