South Carolina

I love to watch it snow! I do not mind that cold stuff but usually wind comes with it. Chickens hate wind! I heard it blowing last night and had to run outside and turn a tractor I forgot I left facing north for the day. I know I looked nutty in my robe and slippers but my little darlings could not be allowed to get chilled.

I am sure if it does snow we have any to stick. It has been too warm this week and if Friday day time highs are near 50 then the snow will melt away pretty quick on warm ground.
We have had it to snow all around us before and we sit here looking at the NC wishing for it.
I am kinda excited because I know my ducks will love the white stuff but the chickens expect me to shovel them a path even if it is only a 1/2 inch!!!
ep.gif

I have a photo on my website under free range and it shows the chickens right up against the coop and not wanting to come out in the snow. And some of the birds are several years old! They know what snow is. But their little tootsies get cold and they don't like that. Now summertime has them wading almost chest deep in mud puddles but that feels better than snow.

Can you tell I am excited about snow???
wee.gif

Rachel probably thinks we are daft for talking about a little bit of snow when she is coming down from where they have "real" snow.
lau.gif

Hello from Rock Hill,SC. Would like to know If there are chicken growers/raisers around here who would like to barter/trade stuff for stuff.

Also would like to know if anyone or everyone would like to start a "chicken trail ways" of sorts.

The idea would be to hand off livestock from city to city.

The idea is:

Lets say abe wants chickens from Babs,but Abe lives in myrtle beach and Babs lives in Aiken.Well how will Abe get Babs chickens?

Thru Chicken Trail Ways, thats how.

Babs contacts the next closest person living to her,drives the chickens to them,they in turn call the next closest person to them,drives it to them,and so on and so forth til Abe drives to the next city to pick up the chicken.

Just a thought,I need lots of input.

GMend,

Thats not a bad idea. But whoever the chicken is being held by needs to have a separate pen/coop, at least temporary, for the chicken in transport.- But I'm up for it!

Mmmmm a chicken highway.... Thats a pretty good idea. Well i kinda like the post office idea if it fits it ships lol oh well. Yep snow i see coming soon or so says the weather channel let it snow let it snow!!!

I have a rooster headed for CA. Anyone headed that way?
gig.gif

I would love to help but I stay so busy that I seldom have time to transport anything from my own farm to someone or go pick up anything for myself. PO works for me.

There is a wonderful SC lady named Karen in Gaffney that has been more than helpful with people wanting to transport birds. She has taken some of mine to TN and I know she used to travel to Charlotte once a week and offer to take or pick up birds. And she goes to FL sometimes, too. She is the sweet person that gave me my LGD that is a dream come true.

It feels like snow here now. The wind was rather brisk and cold and everyone cooped up before dark.
ep.gif
Even the ducks.

If it does snow, this will be my chickens first snow and cannot wait to see how they act!!!!!or don't act... haha!!!

Hope EveryChicken and Duck with their Owners has a Merry Christmas!!! Let it Snow Let it Snow Let it Snow!!!

Quote:
Yes, we don't talk so much about it here in New York
smile.png
but we do get excited when the temperature reaches 100 degrees! (but not in a good way:/) So far we have only had a small dusting over night a couple weeks ago, but it is VERY cold.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all my fellow SC peeples!
ya.gif
clap.gif
love.gif

Sunny and cold as the dickens here. It was 19 degrees when I got up at 7. Brrrr!

And Rachel, it will seem like 100 here when it is only 88. The humidity is a real bear! I am not sure I would trade this weather for the hot though. I suppose one is as difficult as the other to deal with.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom