South Carolina

I am glad the first presidential debate is over, but why do the news people feel they have to tell me what I was supposed to have heard, or what they meant?

just saying

RobertH

I know this is rhetorical, but because the media thinks we're too stupid to understand anything. I'm still waiting for the government to send them a cease and desist because its the government's job to make us feel stupid. :D

well actually they are three weeks too old to sex. so now you have to wait till the saddle feather come in.
I always advocate pulling the chicks away from the mothers and putting them in a brooder box with starter grower.
that minimizes that problem down to nothing.
I also try to keep my breeding lines as pure as possible. random mixed up bloodlines seem to enhance the trouble
Actually if they carry the pea comb of the Ameraucana they are about the right age to sex well...I can see the 3 row pea of a rooster at about 3-4 weeks...I was taught this technique buy a breeder who has bred Amers since the late 60's...so far so good...

Job Announcement:

Clemson University Livestock Poultry Health – Animal Health Programs is seeking a livestock/poultry inspector to be headquartered in the low country area. If you know of people that may be interested please forward this email and/or information.

Link to description-
http://www.clemson.edu/public/lph/employment.html

Please contact me with any questions,
Adam

Adam C. Eichelberger, DVM, DACT
Interim Director, Animal Health Programs
Clemson University Livestock Poultry Health
PO Box 102406, Columbia, SC 29224-2406
(803)726-7804 Office, (803)730-2725 Mobile, (803)788-8058 Fax

[email protected] http://www.clemson.edu/lph/ahp/

I know this is rhetorical, but because the media thinks we're too stupid to understand anything. I'm still waiting for the government to send them a cease and desist because its the government's job to make us feel stupid. :D
I think it is more that the "big business" news corporations try to interject "their" needs to sway us general public to vote THEIR WAY!!!

Actually if they carry the pea comb of the Ameraucana they are about the right age to sex well...I can see the 3 row pea of a rooster at about 3-4 weeks...I was taught this technique buy a breeder who has bred Amers since the late 60's...so far so good...

I'll have to look into that one.
I know I get good results from feather sexing at hatching and looking at the saddle feathers once they start to feather in. wide well rounded saddle feathers are pullets and tapered saddle feathers are cockrels. but all mine are straight combs.

I know I get good results from feather sexing at hatching and looking at the saddle feathers once they start to feather in. wide well rounded saddle feathers are pullets and tapered saddle feathers are cockrels. but all mine are straight combs.

I have pea combed breeds also and this trick has held true for me too! Now the straight combed is definitely another story!!!
barnie.gif

I would like to understand more about feather sexing at hatching...do you mean the coloring? as in - my Dorkings can be sexed by color/striping at hatch for just a couple weeks till they change? I can tell them apart at hatch...I know you have RIR...do they exhibit the same color patterning (not saying like the Dorking but a pattern?) ?

Welcome to all the new folks! Been cramming in my classes and trying to keep all of my flock in line. Life sure is busy these days. But- I am very excited. I have started on a major permanent coop rehab. It is going to be gorgeous when all is said and done. I will absolutely be taking before and after pictures. Yay project!!! Introduced my babies to the older ones, and everyone is getting along just fine. Though, my silkies are Still broody. I am pretty darn ready for that to be done with. Who all will be at the state fair??? My family and I are going!!!

Welcome to all the new folks! Been cramming in my classes and trying to keep all of my flock in line. Life sure is busy these days. But- I am very excited. I have started on a major permanent coop rehab. It is going to be gorgeous when all is said and done. I will absolutely be taking before and after pictures. Yay project!!! Introduced my babies to the older ones, and everyone is getting along just fine. Though, my silkies are Still broody. I am pretty darn ready for that to be done with. Who all will be at the state fair??? My family and I are going!!!
When and where is the fair? There is probably a website, right?

I would like to understand more about feather sexing at hatching...do you mean the coloring? as in - my Dorkings can be sexed by color/striping at hatch for just a couple weeks till they change? I can tell them apart at hatch...I know you have RIR...do they exhibit the same color patterning (not saying like the Dorking but a pattern?) ?

I think it was a reference to the length/shape like in this article (scroll down until you see the tiny wing feather pics)

Back
Top Bottom