South Carolina

MissJames

Songster
11 Years
Oct 17, 2008
Coastal SC
on the coast. I'm a newbie just thinkin' about getting a few chicks.
Some friends are raising some meat chickens on our property for a few months and I'm quite taken with them.I'd like some laying hens / pets.
Is it too late in the year? It doesn't get cold for another month and not really cold [30's-40's] until Jan-Feb.
I would raise the chicks inside .

Welcome!

The DH and I are new to this chicken thing as well. We are just across the river from Anderson & figured that if folks can keep their chickens warm up north, then ours should be just fine. Other than free ranging in the fenced backyard, they have a little wood framed building to call home.

We moved up here from the low country (Summerville) about 10 years ago and really haven't notice much difference in the winter temps.

Last edited:
Hey there GingerChick,
I'm East of the Cooper! I need to hunt down some chicks and get started.Nothing on craigslist right now.I guess I'm offseason.When you were in Summerville, did you get your chicks from somewhere near Charleston?

welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
We got ours about a month or so ago from some folks on Craigs List. I think though that I heard there was a breeder up around Georgetown. Do a search for posts about SC. There is a poster from Berkley Co. that may be able to help you. Good Luck!

Quote:
Way Cool!!! You are closer to the Jockey Lot than we are.

According to mapquest.com, we are only about 40 miles apart. Nice to meet another BYCer in the neighborhood.

Amy

Hey Back 2 ya! I heard that the Jockey Lot was closing in Anderson... didyou hear anything about that? Went to a local auction last night to get some more girls for the coop, but didn't find any that looked like they needed to come and live with me...
Hope you are having a wonderful Wednesday!!
hmm.png

Hey, ya'll!!

I'm in between Lexington/West Columbia. We got our chickens in April. We started with an order from Ideal Hatchery. So far, I've ordered from them twice...No problems either time. I'm up to 41 chickens, 7 turkeys, 3 geese, and 5 pigs (can't leave the pigs out..)
And, I have babies hatching in my incubator as we speak. There are another 13 eggs in there.

I don't think it's too cold. If Ms. AK Bird-Brain can do it in Alaska, we should be fine. LOL!!

Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom