South Dakota here

CRW, sorry to hear about what happened with your chick delivery from McMurrays. My shipment of chicks is due on the 25th of this month. Obviously this makes me nervous about my delivery. Since I already have taken the day off of work for their arrival, if the weather continues to be in the teens or below, I will probably drive to Webster to pick my chicks up since it is less than a 4 hour drive from Canton. BrahmaM, if you like (and I decide to drive), I would be willing to pickup your chicks as well if your order falls in the same time frame, since we live in the same area. I will post if I am going to pick them up. My kids would definitely be heartbroken if the chicks arrived DOA
hit.gif

It is also got me more worried that I should delay the delivery of my marans eggs (at 5$ a pop, I cannot afford to have them arrive frozen)

Good luck to you with your future delivery.

Z

Last edited:
Hello Wildsky, you're close enough to South Dakota. What part of Nebraska are you from? I know Valentine, Wood Lake, Cody, Merriman, Scottsbluff, Gordon, Rushville, Chadron, mostly the western part, but have been to Omaha, and Lincoln several times.

CRW,

I am 216 miles or a 3 hour 45 minute drive according to Mapquest, from Mc Murrays (in Webster Iowa, which is within 15 minutes of Ames, IA). I drove to Ames for a job interview a couple of years ago (but in the end accepted a job in Sioux Falls), so I am familiar with the drive from here; and know that I can easily complete a back and forth drive in a day if the weather cooperates. I know that it would take most of the day, but if temperatures continue to be so cold, it would be worhtwhile to be pick them up to insure that all of them would survive. The savings on shipping could at least offset some of the gas cost for driving.

Still unsure about the eggs coming in this weather, but the breeder is way to far away to even consider driving. Hopefully mother nature will be nice.
fl.gif

Z

Last edited:
Z, thank you so much for the offer, that is very nice!
hugs.gif
The only thing is, my one order is from Welp's in Bancroft, Ia. I had even thought about driving, but just went ahead and moved my orders back to the week of March 10th (have another order from Ideal coming to) Though, after running my order through MM-albeit a little different due to variety...I almost am thinking about canceling Welps and going with them
hmm.png
The only thing is, my MM order would be $128-shipping not included, and my Welp's order is sitting at $99 with free shipping....

On the other hand, if Campbell's Supply does not end up getting turkey poults, is there anyone interested in going in on some Bourbon Reds or Slate Blues? Most places that have them have a minimum of 10 (at least) and I don't want to pay that much for just a few that I would like to have. I'm thinking 3 or 4 of those guys to keep, and then about 4-5 of another breed for the dinner table.

Z,
If this weather keeps up can I talk you into picking up my order for me, and I drive down to meet you? I am about 5 + hours from Sioux Falls. I am considering this. When are you going to go? I can free my schedule weather permitting to fit yours. You're near Beresford right?

Thanks
CRW

If the weather keeps up, I would be traveling there on the 25th of February. Sure, I would have no problem picking up your order. Yes, I live north and east of Beresford by about 15 miles or so. Once I get they start putting extended weather forecasts out (probably around the 20th or so), I will post on whether or not I will be traveling to MM.

Turkeys - yes they would be cool, but I probably should wait on adding any other type of bird. I actually would like to try ducks first, maybe next year (mandarin ducks look awesome
big_smile.png
; ) but I think that I will have my hands full having 30+ chickens (depending on how lucky or unlucky) I am with hatching the eggs
jumpy.gif
. My wife already thinks I am nuts for getting as many chickens as I am
barnie.gif
so I don't want to push it... Yes, the addiction as started already and nothing has even arrived yet......

I won 6+ buff brama eggs on ebay for $5 ($17 including shipping) and will be getting 12+ wheaten marans eggs from a breeder; which both are supposed to ship out within the next few days. I will put up a seperate post (and try to figure out how to upload pictures) once I get the incubation process started (if I don't get eggsicles, that is).

Z

Z,
Thanks, I think this way we both know they will be in good hands, and won't freeze to death. Just post and let me know. You can email me too if you want or message me [email protected]

Will you also let me know ahead of time so I can let MM know plz?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom