South Louisiana Temps Dropping & Chicken Owners

I will trade anyone south of Missouri right now. Have 8+ inches of snow that started when we were hit with a blizzard on Christmas Eve still on the ground. Suppose to get to -5 tonight. By Friday - more snow and the HIGH is 0! I worried enough and moved everyone into a workshop. When I had to clear the snow off the food in the morning, my coop needs more winterinzing!!!! I don't know how you guys in Neb, Minn and the Dakotas going to survive this week, and I mean people and the chickens!

This weekend will be the coldest weekend that South Louisiana has had since 1996. I know that it's way colder in other states, so I guess we're lucky.

i can under stand where you louisiana folks are coming form i live in south mississippi and 22 is darn cold but it is suppose to get colder hear by thursday they are saying possible lows in the teens, we are not suppose to have weather like this, all of the old timers say "don't like the weather in mississippi wait 5min" well i have been waiting 24 hrs and no change. darn!

The predicted low for Thursday and Friday is 9*F in central Arkansas!!!
On Thursday it's also supposed to come with 15-25mph north winds, so I gotta go put a tarp up on that side of the coop before then!!!

It's supposed to be a balmy 15*F tonight, but with calm winds. The chickens seemed fine when I locked them up. It's just the wind that has me concerned.

Hellstatootie-

22 degrees F

Ha

Here in Ohio we are still swimming outside in that weather.

You petunias better stay down South if you frost that easily.

So much for the bravado - we are freezing our butz off too!

I've lived in Ohio (12 years at Wright-Patterson AFB), so I sure know cold when I feel it. It got to 25 below zero a few times, plus had snow and ice to go along with that. I never want to be in that climate again! I much prefer Utah or Colorado with the dry air--just didn't feel that cold, even when we got 100" of snow one year.

Louisiana weather is a lot like central Texas weather. It's going to get to the upper 20's tonight and down to upper teens by Thursday. Cold for us! We just got back from skiing in NE New Mexico and I wouldn't trade that cold weather for anything. I was glad to get back home. We brought the cold weather with us, though.

My chickens live in a run at night and most of the day, I let them out around 4:00ish to free range until dark. The run is a 10'x20' chain link dog pen 6' high with chicken wire secured over the top. I have a tarp over one corner with nesting boxes made of "milk/storage" crates I bought at Wal-Mart. They roost on 2" metal pipe from a pipe gate I had that fell apart. I have a roosting pole under the tarp and one out in the open. There are 11 hens and one roo in there and they finally all learned to roost under the tarp when it's cold. The tarp protects them from the wind. They all snuggle up together and stay quite warm. They do quite well in there, even when it's "cold." I have never put out a heat lamp or confined them in a smaller enclosed coop. I would probably do something different if we actually had winter here.

Quote:
We are supposed to go down to the teens. Yuck! So much for moving down south to the warmth. LOL. Keep warm!!

Quote:
It is a different type of cold there for sure! I grew up in the Cleveland Ohio area, and moved to Burlington VT for 12 years and even that is a big difference. I don't miss those Neg 25 degrees at all! I have now lived in SE Louisiana for the last 16 years, and it's like night and day when it comes to cold weather.
big_smile.png
Living in GA must be beautiful!!!!

Back
Top Bottom