South Pacific hens

Sounet

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
Hello everyone, I am a "French-speaking hen lover" and I live in New Caledonia.... South Pacific, half way between Australia and New Zealand, a small french island lost in the middle of the Pacific. I have in our garden 5 hens, and a magnificent red rooster, they spend the night sheltered in the coop and every morning I open the door and they spend the day scratching and basking in the sun or dust, sometimes both. I pick up edges daily, in the coop but also sometimes in the most unpredictable places... our bed as we leave doors open most of the time, or in little piece of furniture on the terrace... As I am used to them, I cal easily find the hidden eggs... But we live on the border of a wood and some stray hens join ours in the coop especially as it is a well known eatery.... free corn and scratch from the kitchen... Pretty often our rooster pays his homage to the lady-visitors which entails unending growing numbers of chicks, half wild, half domesticated.... I do have to catch them, we... eat them.... we have to otherwise we would be outnumbered by these half-caste hens... Our hens are one splendid Plymouth, one white Sussex, the three others are red layers. I appreciate reading all your articles, and thank you for having me among you all. kind regards, Sounet ( 61, retired teacher).

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Nothing wrong with eating excess birds - left alone they would overpopulate or be eaten by predators. Sounds like you give them a good life while they are around.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Sounds like you really do have the life and enjoy your birds greatly. And yes, at some point you have to eat the excessive birds or they would take over your world!

Enjoy your life's adventures and if you have any questions, that is what we are here for. Welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you'll have a nice happy flock, and make good use of the visitors!

Back
Top Bottom