Soy bean farmer, is free range dangerous?

Blessedmamaof3

Chirping
Apr 16, 2021
Pomona, KS (eastern ks)
First time chicken owner here looking for advice. Our home is surrounded by soy bean fields, like our grass lawn literally touches the bean fields as you can see in pic. Will this be dangerous if I let my chickens free range? I have been reading that they can't eat raw beans. If I let them out of the run they will obviously encounter all stages of soy beans. Any other soybean farmers out there that have free ranging chickens? We don't have a very large run area (100 sq ft with 10 chickens) because I was planning on them doing a lot of free ranging. They are almost 6 weeks and planning to transition them to the coop soon.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200729_202612.jpg
    20200729_202612.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 50
Houston, we have a problem. Raw soy retards the growth of chickens and it also contains enzymes that interfere with the absorption of nutrients in the digestive tract. The plant is listed as poisonous to livestock.

And then there are hawks. Not much cover in Kansas. If you do decide to clear an area and fence it off from the fields, you need to provide ramadas for the chickens to duck under if they see a hawk. Like these on the open land in New Zealand where they let commercial egg layers out to free range.

Houston, we have a problem. Raw soy retards the growth of chickens and it also contains enzymes that interfere with the absorption of nutrients in the digestive tract. The plant is listed as poisonous to livestock.

And then there are hawks. Not much cover in Kansas. If you do decide to clear an area and fence it off from the fields, you need to provide ramadas for the chickens to duck under if they see a hawk. Like these on the open land in New Zealand where they let commercial egg layers out to free range.
Will they try to eat the soybean plants or just if they find some on the ground during harvest? Thanks. That is a lot of chickens 😳

Back
Top Bottom