1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Soybean

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nguyenkinhphuc2, Dec 13, 2014.

1. nguyenkinhphuc2

nguyenkinhphuc2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    Can I feed chickens with uncooked soybean (fermented / growing fodder soybean)?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    No. Soybeans need heat treating to feed to poultry.

1 person likes this.
  3. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    Raw Soybeans:
    Raw soybeans should not be fed to poultry. When feeding soybeans to poultry, soybeans must be heattreated
    to destroy a trypsin inhibitor that disrupts digestion. The presence of the trypsin inhibitors will
    also cause an enlarged pancreas (a 50%-100% increase). The side affects will occur at inclusion levels
    as low as 5%.
    Soybean Roasting
    Soybeans are roasted to breakdown the trypsin inhibitor. A urease test is done afterwards to determine if
    breakdown is sufficient. There are many different opinions on the methods and temperatures required
    for this process. The most common recommendation is heating to 270o
    for 20 minutes when roasting
    whole soybeans.

From http://ucanr.edu/sites/placernevadasmallfarms/files/102993.pdf

4. nguyenkinhphuc2

nguyenkinhphuc2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
  5. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Fermented soy is good stuff. We eat a lot of tempeh and miso. Occasionally I have some natto. Our chickens love leftover tempeh. I don't know what traditional methods (ie, methods from 3000 years ago) did to the soybeans before fermenting them, but all the recipes I have seen for fermented soy products involve cooking the beans first. If you find recipes for fermenting soy for livestock use, in which the soy has never been heated, do let us know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by