Space keynotworking well

Laptop or standalone keyboard like for a desktop?

If desktop, just slide a butterknife under it and pop it off. It is likely that there is debris under it that needs to be cleaned out.

You may be able to do the butterknife method with the laptop too, but I'd need to see the actual model to make a determination on that - some models are made so that they keys don't pop off in this fashion.

Laptop or standalone keyboard like for a desktop?

If desktop, just slide a butterknife under it and pop it off. It is likely that there is debris under it that needs to be cleaned out.

You may be able to do the butterknife method with the laptop too, but I'd need to see the actual model to make a determination on that - some models are made so that they keys don't pop off in this fashion.
HP Laptop 17-cn0xxx

So, found the manual:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2065166/Hp-17-Cn0-Series.html?page=36#manual

But unfortunately, it doesn't go into good details about cleaning out the keyboard, just about wiping down the surfaces.

From this point, I would probably power down the machine, remove battery (if possible) and unplug any cables running to it. Hold it open and upside down (keyboard facing downward) and try to spray compressed air at the buttons. Tapping the buttons at the same time may also help to jiggle things loose. If this works, expect a decent amount of debris - so do this outside for ease of cleanup.

So, found the manual:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2065166/Hp-17-Cn0-Series.html?page=36#manual

But unfortunately, it doesn't go into good details about cleaning out the keyboard, just about wiping down the surfaces.

From this point, I would probably power down the machine, remove battery (if possible) and unplug any cables running to it. Hold it open and upside down (keyboard facing downward) and try to spray compressed air at the buttons. Tapping the buttons at the same time may also help to jiggle things loose. If this works, expect a decent amount of debris - so do this outside for ease of cleanup.
Thanks. I'll try it.

I imagine that the key is removable, however there's the risk of breaking the plastic clips that attach the keycap to the stabilizer, and those kinds of stabilizers can be difficult to reattach.

Back
Top Bottom