Spalding Peachicks

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by AndysPeafowlSanctuary, Jul 20, 2011.

1. AndysPeafowlSanctuary

AndysPeafowlSanctuary Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. Knix6468

Knix6468 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Gaston Oregon
    Andy, you need to train them to stay out of the food dish [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just kidding of course, my husband is fuming about our Peas right now because he cant find a food dish that most the food doesn't end up under the wire floor.

great birds, thanks for sharing.!!

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:You can weight the bottom of a milk jug with rocks, cut off the top 1/3 of it, and cut a hole in the side big enough for them to get their head through ans use it as a feeder- you can also wire it to the side of the cage they are in usually, to keep it stable. This will force them to put their heads in, meaning they can't spill while gobbling, and prevent them from standing in the food. You can do this for a waterer too, but don't wire it to anything as it will need changing more often. Make sure the jugs are REALLY thoroughly cleaned though. We use this for the adults with 5 gallon buckets and it works GREAT. They spill hardly anything (and usually only when we fill it because they are "sorting" it for the good bits [​IMG]

And Andy, they are so cute! Is there a way to visually tell the difference between a spalding chick and a regular one? I really wouldn't be able to say off hand, I think these are the first spalding chicks I have seen! Usually see them all grown up and looking beautiful and exotic haha

4. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    CONGRATULATIONS!! [​IMG]

5. SunBaked

SunBaked Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    What cute little peachicks you have there [​IMG]

Kedreeva I love your idea with the milk jugs, I will be borrowing that idea for sure. One of the biggest problems I've had with mine is them spilling their food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by