sparrows and such...

southerndesert

B & M Chicken Ranch
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
Morristown, AZ
I have had chickens on and off for many years and have always had problems with sparrows etc. stealing from my hanging feeders. Broke down and built some treadle feeders that worked great except we had to place them on the run floors where insects (crickets, roaches, ants) and rodents quickly found their way in and became more of a nuisance than the darn birds.

So back to the hanging style which work the best anyway.

Now in the past we had hung all sorts of stuff like tinfoil, can lids, etc. on string to deter the wild birds, but to no avail as they quickly got used to them and returned to their thieving ways. That is until we discovered CDs, yes an old CD tied on a string in the runs has kept them out for a long time now except for a brave few that quickly get scared off. We have several in each feeding area hanging at different heights by string and as they move in the breeze catching sunlight they make a very bright multicolor reflection that does not bother the chickens, but freaks out sparrows etc.

At least so far....

May have to try this in the garden as well!

Just thought it worth sharing
big_smile.png

Sparrows became lunch with ours too!!
barnie.gif
I had a flock a few years back and was horrified when I first witnessed a little sparrow come in and get eaten! Mice too!!
ep.gif
They are velociraptors!

Quote:
Not too lazy as they lay lots of eggs
wink.png
but over the year I have some flocks that will eat anything that moves including birds and mice and others that will not.... Always the sparrows are around to steal food.

Funny critters chickens
big_smile.png

Maintenance
Expect to clean or complement food and water dishes once or twice a day, and to "muck out" the straw of his room once a week. The bottom of the enclosure will also have to vacuum (with a wet / dry vacuum, not the model inside) or scanning. Use a mask for safety.

If they are dirty, the floor must be washed and disinfected with a pet insurance product.

The outdoor run must be raked, with solid waste removed once a week.

Hens, on the other hand, are kept very clean and nice!

Back
Top Bottom