1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sparrows eating ALL my chicken feed.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jc_chickens, Jan 31, 2008.

1. jc_chickens

jc_chickens New Egg

Jan 31, 2008
    How do I keep the sparrows from eating all the feed in the chicken feeder? Daily, they clean the 3 lb feeder out, completely!

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

only thing that worked for me was bird netting over the run/coop area where feed is kept....I still have critters find their way in,but not going through near as much food !

3. jc_chickens

jc_chickens New Egg

Jan 31, 2008
    I would do that but they are free range. I keep the feed in their roost and the the sparrows fly in through the little door by the dozens. Its an issue I can't figure out how to resolve.

4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

since you freerange, I would not put feed out until you lock them into where they eat? do they coop up at night?

5. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    A BB gun could be effective. If you shoot enough and often enough, they will regard that as an unsafe place to feed. I am assuming that they are English sparrows. They are consider a nuisance specie so shoot away.

6. jc_chickens

jc_chickens New Egg

Jan 31, 2008
    They do coop up at night. I will try picking up the feeder during the day. I just can't do the BB gun thing, I don't have it in me. Thanks for the suggestions.

7. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I had the sparrow problem too, but not nearly as bad as that, tho. I planned on stringing CDs around to deter them, but they went away on their own. [​IMG]

Now I only have one sparrow and one junco that visit with the chickens and only eat a little bit. But I still don't like them in there. They squeeze their little bodies right thru the chicken wire!

8. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    I've got the sparrow problem too, but along with that I have the biggest most beautiful cardinals too. They seem to enjoy the feed as well. But they don't come around the chickens. They bide their time to swoop in and get a treat. However, my cat, "Possum" has been keeping it to a minimum. He's waiting for them any chance he gets. He's already brought me 3 red birds and I told him to just kill the sparrows! He's hard headed cat, won't listen. [​IMG]

9. pepperluvsmee

pepperluvsmee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Seven Valleys, Pa
    Buy a cat!! MROW!! hee hee. What a pickle you are in, feed the wild birds and my birds or don't feed at all.
    I am a loss for words. I know--weird huh?
    -Theresa

10. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Unless they're eating too much I'd encourage them to stick around. Come spring/summer they'll switch to BUGS! Birds are the best thing for bug control.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by