damn sparrows

0die

Songster
9 Years
Apr 20, 2015
corpus christi, tx 78413
Sparrows and doves have become my biggest problem. Not rats but they are still around.

My coop has an automatic door that is open all day so they can free range my backyard. The feeder is inside the coop but the local birds have started going inside and feeding all day. The door is small and at the bottom but they just walk into the coop without fear.

I going to try hanging a towel over the door opening like a curtain that the chickens will have to push thru to get in and out. I'm hoping it will discourage the small birds.

When the coop door opens, there is a string that lifts the cover plank off the feed tube. That keeps the rats away at night. But in the day, sparrows are walking thru the door and feeding.

I'm thinking I need to upgrade to a treadle feeder.

Attachments

• 20240109_153541.jpg
    20240109_153541.jpg
    563.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 20240109_153605.jpg
    20240109_153605.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240109_153611.jpg
    20240109_153611.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240109_153628.jpg
    20240109_153628.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 7
My pop door has flaps that the chickens go thru. If the chickens won't go thru with the towel there, maybe try a modification to flaps. I did pin most flaps up, when first introducing it to the chickens. As they got accustomed to it, I let a flap down. I proceeded with that until all flaps were down. My flaps don't make a solid barrier, but it's probably enough to keep yard birds out. The flaps I made from an old tablecloth and have a bubble wrap type product in between the two fabric layers (front and back of the flap), so they are sorta insulated and don't blow around as much as just a fabric flap would.

20210107_110542.jpg

There's something called a "chicken vending machine" feeder. You'd possibly have to use pellets to minimize mess:
Chicken Vending Machine

I have a treadle feeder, but I've never used it. Seems like an invitation for feeding squabbles. Plus the vending machine can be made for under $20, and the chickens get to work for their food. I plan on adding two in our new chicken enclosure next (this?) year.

Sparrows are the bane of my existence.

I went to feeding twice a day this past week, picking up the dishes after a half hour or so. I have been surprised at how much less they are eating, especially with snow on the ground. Then, I noticed new entries dug around the shed. The woodchuck is back.

My woodchuck is like your sparrows, doesn't hurt the chickens, but loves a free lunch.

If your chickens are free ranging they don't need to have the feed out for them all day. You can get a screw on cap for the PVC pipe.

We never had a sparrow issue until the farm across the road got sold. In came the horses and donkeys and suddenly the flies and sparrows became a new issue for us.

I got rid of the sparrows by removing all the bird seed from the bird feeders (we have several). I refilled them all with black oil sunflower seeds. That was five years ago and have rarely seen one here anymore.

Debbie 292d, I never thought of that. The little sparrows could not eat whole grain. If Odie switched to feeding whole grain the sparrows would stop eating the chicken's feed. Could always switch back to commercial feed when the grain runs out.

I buy what is available at tractor supply. The feeder must be accessible all day or 24/7. I'm gone at work and gone 2-3 days some time. The door is automatic for that reason. Feeding is automatic for that reason.

I cannot change my situation or schedule. I must change the feeder design and/or to the access to the feed to exclude or discourage sparrows during the day and rats at night.

Odie, you can leave dry grain out for them all day. I found cardinals like the sunflower seeds, but nothing else. As for the rats, a bucket trap might work for you.

The idea of the string and wood plank is ingenious.

I think you have another thread on feeders where I've offered some advice. If not, you can find the thread easy enough.

This works for us. I originally built it to keep my dog out of the chicken feed. I like it because it keeps the chickens from tossing feed out, with the result that we don't seem to have much of a problem with mice or bugs, and our feed costs have gone down. We keep the feeder in the hen house (coop) so wild birds are not a problem either. The build was easy and not particularly difficult. One could purchase a 4" drill bit if one chose, but I used a jig saw, which I already had. These are 4" O.D. 90-degree street ells, positioned about an inch above the bottom of the bucket, sealed in place with silicone caulk.

1000004318.jpg

Back
Top Bottom