Giving in to poison …

We had rats in our coop a few years ago, when part of our (old!) concrete foundation cracked. They ate eggs, and killed three nice pullets at night, before we got them out. We had insulated two of the coop walls, so they were hiding in the cavities, and we had to tear that all out. And bait stations, and no more rats.
Having some bantams, especially younger bantams, the rat proof feeders don't work here.
Mary
Wow. I was just telling someone else that rats will kill young chickens and ducklings. Sorry that happened to you.

Rats!!
Ok, I have never allowed food inside the coop. I have never left feeders in the run once the flock is in bed. I remove water also. The whole coop and run are covered with 1/2 inch hardware cloth with apron. I have tried building bucket traps, even paid for one. Caught 2 mice in 4 months. This week we let our 2 dogs into the run at night after the chickens were in bed. Rats never reveal themselves although the dogs were sniffing and digging. I have already ordered 2 rat proof treadle feeders. They will be arriving Sunday. I’m thinking poison is inevitable. Local feed store sells Tom Cat lock boxes and blocks. Needless to say, I am petrified. I know I can prevent my dogs and chickens and cats from going into the box. My fear is them finding a carcass. Of course we will be monitoring every morning in the run for carcass. And of course, in the yard where the dogs are. But I am still petrified. Any thoughts from anyone?
My farm supply told me recently that the reason my rat problem is continuing is that Tom Cat bait might kill a mouse after 2 feedings, but would not kill rats. I never had rats before and fighting them is a new thing. I think they are coming from a neighbors shed. I am using Just One Bite bar poison after trying to trap them in a live cage to no avail and using snap traps and getting 1. New poison has succeeded in them running to a new area under a dock box that I keep outdoor animal supplies and feed in. We have of course emptied and moved it, and dug up their runs. This is extremely frustrating. I am for the last month removing all food and water each night.

Removing the feed and water at night just teaches the rats to eat during the day. Your experience with the last method of Howard E.'s recommendations is why it is the last control method recommended, it seldom works long term. Unless of course you have already put in place the sanitation process and the natural food in the area is limited.

Only one thing stops rats fast and that is when they are no longer being fed and are forced to leave or starve. Exclusion can also work but it is five to ten times more expensive and you cannot use free range.

Back
Top Bottom