Sparrows eating all the feed

Cool...got a link?
Only one maybe two can eat at the same time?
Is the rock under end of platform to avoid pinched toes?

You have very good eyes @aart ! I put that rock there because they like to dig and shift the land in the run and i was afraid that one day they would step and the whole thing would tip on them.... I may put the whole thing on a piece of wood but it seems to be fine the way it is. I have seen some pinched toes, but again, the ground is softer so it doesnt hurt them.

They were able to figure it out on their own in just 2 hours after leading them to it with cracked corn!

Two can eat at a time. They have bigger ones, but from what i read, they are happy to take turns, here is the link:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EOXEUHM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They do like to dig!! They may also be going after dropped pieces of feed.
I put pavers down in a lot of places to deter that, have had them dig under upright concrete block to the point they almost tipped them over.

Thanks for link, looks like they have taller ones but not wider.
How many birds do you have?

I understand that the problem has been solved. But maybe this can help somebody.

When I had starlings coming into the barn to eat my chicken feed I hung clear plastic up over the door. This was something I had laying around about as heavy as a tarp. Then I cut vertical strips about five-six inches wide in it. Then I clipped a small section open with a clothespin so the chickens would go in and out with no hesitation. After a few days I removed the clothespin and watched carefully. After a week I put up another sheet so the strips overlapped. The chickens took to it very quickly and no more starlings flying into the barn door. Worked like a charm!

Last edited:
They do like to dig!! They may also be going after dropped pieces of feed.
I put pavers down in a lot of places to deter that, have had them dig under upright concrete block to the point they almost tipped them over.

Thanks for link, looks like they have taller ones but not wider.
How many birds do you have?

I like the idea of pavers! Its perfect for this spot, thanks! We only have 4 chickens, thats why i thought the longer one i bought first would be perfect.... the other thing i noticed about that first feeder was that if one chicken was standing on the treadle and another came in on the side without stepping on it, when the first bird left, i feared decapitation!

Although i cant see any specs on the large on, it looks wider in the picture and reading the reviews, one guy with 40 birds said it will fit 3-4 at a time. https://smile.amazon.com/Automatic-...r=1-2&keywords=Automatic+Treadle+Feeder+44 44

I just love that the sparrows are all gone !

I like the idea of pavers! Its perfect for this spot, thanks! We only have 4 chickens, thats why i thought the longer one i bought first would be perfect.... the other thing i noticed about that first feeder was that if one chicken was standing on the treadle and another came in on the side without stepping on it, when the first bird left, i feared decapitation!

Although i cant see any specs on the large on, it looks wider in the picture and reading the reviews, one guy with 40 birds said it will fit 3-4 at a time. https://smile.amazon.com/Automatic-Treadle-Feeder-Chickens-Poultry/dp/B01EOXEUJA/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1504561045&sr=1-2&keywords=Automatic+Treadle+Feeder+44 44

I just love that the sparrows are all gone !
I hear ya on the decapitation, some had side guards added when that became problem.

I guess the other sizes are a bit wider, they don't give very clear dimensions.

Wouldn't work too well for my flock of 16-30.

I understand that the problem has been solved. But maybe this can help somebody.

When I had starlings coming into the barn to eat my chicken feed I hung clear plastic up over the door. This was something I had laying around about as heavy as a tarp. Then I and cut vertical strips about five-six inches wide in it. Then I clipped a small section open with a clothespin so the chickens would go in and out with no hesitation. After a few days I removed the clothespin and watched carefully. After a week I put up another sheet so the strips overlapped. The chickens took to it very quickly and no more starlings flying into the barn door. Worked like a charm!

Its so funny you mention this idea @wren because my neighbor noticed a lot more sparrows in the area and she didnt like them in her garden, dive bombing her and pooping on her car. So she got a roll of shiny, silver metallic party streamer and tied about 2' lengths of it to parts of her fence. It looked weird, every one thought she was coo-coo or throwing a perpetual party....but she swears it worked.... makes me wonder if its the wiggling of the vertical strips that keeps them away. I like your idea of overlapping the strips to make sure nothing got in.... i cant tell you how many times i almost lost a tooth to a sparrow zipping out of the run and nearly smacking into me! Im keeping this idea on the back burner!

Back
Top Bottom