Sparrows In My Run

no sparrows will not get through chicken wire, but to be honest I don;t think they would do any harm anyway.

I have hundreds of sparrows in my garden and they never get into the run, but my girls are fascinated in watching them outside in the grass.

I have adopted one little one that has no tail feathers, and she comes to the patio for bread every morning after I have fed the girls.

It is really strange to watch their antics in the garden and to see them up against my chickens who look huge in comparison.

Last edited:
Wild birds carry MANY parasites and have the capacity to carry diseases from flock to flock of chickens.

I have birds that visit my chicken shed, too. I am hoping for the best, since in my shed there is really nothing I can do about it....

I hate sparrows... I think I spend more feeding them than I do my own chickens....

but there is nothing I can do about it... feed the sparrows or keep my chickens cooped up.

You can get traps but I doubt they would do any good.

http://www.sparrowtraps.net/

This is an ingenious trap that truly works like a champ. (use cheetoes and bread for bait) I bought one because
I had a number of House Sparrows that had moved in and were killing bluebirds. (they attack adults, but their modus is attacking nests to kill chicks - they're horrible little beasts)
They are a tremendously aggressive non-native species that have done damage to native bird populations. Some would argue that they may act as disease carriers to your flock, but who knows...
(funny, as I was writing this I heard the telltale chirp outside and lo and behold, one was sitting beside a Swallow box - time to go set up Uncle Blaines sparrow trap myself!)

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow, we were apparently typing at the same time. I was curious about the sparrow trap and though there are plenty of testimonials on the website (I wonder about testimonials on websites
roll.png
) I was hoping to find someone who actually used one....and there you are!!!!
smile.png
Sounds like it works well for you...I might have to look into one of these.

Ed

I set my trap up the first of the bluebird breeding season, because the males were hanging around my bluebird box. I actually caught a couple right off. Now they are back and setting up shop in my barn, making a horrible racket and munching on my chicken feed. I have the box set up again, and am getting no action at all. Im afraid Im going to somehow have to figure out how to not have chicken feed out all the time, and give them a reason to check out the trap. It does, work, tho.

Sorry,

I had not realised that Sparrows are not an indigenous species there. WE are losing them like crazy here in the UK. This is down to habitats being destroyed.

WE have all kinds of programmes to keep a check on them here and to encourage them.

Maybe a good idea would be to ship them home.... lol.

It is unfortunate that in the past people did some crazy things moving wildlife where it does not belong and it has caused a lot of problems since.

Good luck in dealing with your sparrow problem there.

Back
Top Bottom