Special Needs Duckling

I'm pretty sure that is what I gave my ducklings and chicks. I did it for about a week, then stopped, then started again for a week. It will take awhile, but if you keep trying, it will work.

Also, I know it is hard, but try to keep your brooder dry. The wet shavings can get moldy and cause these types of symptoms too.

I'm pretty sure that is what I gave my ducklings and chicks.  I did it for about a week, then stopped, then started again for a week.  It will take awhile, but if you keep trying, it will work.

Also, I know it is hard, but try to keep your brooder dry.  The wet shavings can get moldy and cause these types of symptoms too.

I am dosing them at 1/2 a teaspoon per gallon. Our vet said I should be fine a 3/4 a teaspoon but Winnie is so tiny it frightens me to do too high a dose. She just isn't growing very quickly. I'm hoping she hangs in there and catches up. They are on puppy pads in a large area (one of our showers) so it stays fairly dry. I'll try to stay on top of it.

I am dosing them at 1/2 a teaspoon per gallon. Our vet said I should be fine a 3/4 a teaspoon but Winnie is so tiny it frightens me to do too high a dose. She just isn't growing very quickly. I'm hoping she hangs in there and catches up. They are on puppy pads in a large area (one of our showers) so it stays fairly dry. I'll try to stay on top of it.

Using puppy pads is a really good idea! I'll have to remember that for next time! :)

Would it still be appropriate to order some grogel for Winnie?

Her sisters are 1 pound and she is still four ounces.

i am sorry to hear about your duck. i dont have much experience with this situation but i do have a chicken with a deformed beak. We didnt know for a long time if she would make it becauae she couldnt pick up food like the rest of the chickens. Im glad to say that today she is alive and healthy! We have to feed her separately becuase she doesnt have a fighting chance otherwise. She is considerably smaller than the other buff orringtons so i assume your duck will stay smaller too. I am glad you are taking care of her. a lot of people wouldnt want her if she was any trouble.

i am sorry to hear about your duck. i dont have much experience with this situation but i do have a chicken with a deformed beak. We didnt know for a long time if she would make it becauae she couldnt pick up food like the rest of the chickens. Im glad to say that today she is alive and healthy! We have to feed her separately becuase she doesnt have a fighting chance otherwise. She is considerably smaller than the other buff orringtons so i assume your duck will stay smaller too. I am glad you are taking care of her. a lot of people wouldnt want her if she was any trouble.

Your girl is adorable!! Thanks for the success story, it helps
1f60a.png

Just an update on Winnie, she is almost fully feathered and is getting her coloring in! She is gaining weight and almost the size of her smaller sister. She figured out how to eat her food as long as the dish is deep enough and loves hanging out. Hoping things continue going well when she starts laying. Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom