Specialty Nest Boxes

MyriamKP

Chirping
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Hello Everyone,
I am hoping someone will be able to help me. I am looking for a type of chicken nest box that locks the hen into the nest. She is not able to get out until someone releases her. This is so we can know which hen laid which egg. We need to do some genetic selection with our free range chickens.
I know these types of nest boxes exist, but I don't remember what they are called. My search results are not specific enough and with so many articles and nest types out there, I am ending up with 100,s of pages to look at and not what I need.
Thanks for the help
Myriam

Attachments

• Bresse Chickens (Brigitte & Chloe).jpg
    Bresse Chickens (Brigitte & Chloe).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
Interesting Idea, I have about 40 hens in the flock. Not sure if I can come up with that many colors. How many days do the colors last?

I have heard lipstick too. No need to do all 40 in one night, do several one night, figure out their egg, so forth.

Or better yet, I am assuming that you only want eggs from certain birds. Well just do those birds, and collet any egg with color on it.

Mrs K

I have heard lipstick too. No need to do all 40 in one night, do several one night, figure out their egg, so forth.

Or better yet, I am assuming that you only want eggs from certain birds. Well just do those birds, and collet any egg with color on it.

Mrs K
My hens are not for selling eggs. They are for producing chicks for meat birds. SO I do need to know all 40 and I need to follow the eggs to chicks to growers and processing.It would be nice if the chicks came out colored too.:)

oh - I misunderstood. But I am curious, do you mean to hatch out chicks from all 40 birds? I guess I assumed you would want chicks from your heaviest birds, or your best birds, for whatever you were collecting the eggs for.

oh well

Back
Top Bottom