Specific Worming question - what to do with the eggs?

char259

Chirping
8 Years
May 13, 2011
Waynesboro
I will be searching and reading about worming but I have a specific question:

My vet recommended Wazine and I wormed my small flock yesterday. Specifically because I happen to notice one of my hens passing a worm. Wanted to worm everyone at the same time.

My question is: Do I throw out any eggs the hens lay for 14 days - each time i worm?

char

So new.....so much fun......so many questions.

Last edited:
I don't know - feeding the eggs back to the chickens - won't that just keep putting the wormer back into the new batch of eggs - maybe somewhat weaker - but still not safe - don't know - just a thought -

Most wormers are generally safe for human use, so some people just eat the eggs. Or feed them to the other pets as chicken wormers are similar to or the same as dog and cattle wormers.

I'd probably eat the eggs and worm everyone, humans included.

There is a warning on a bottle of wazine that states: Do not medicate prior to slaughter within 14 days for turkeys and chickens and 21 days for swine. If the chicken is good to eat AFTER the 14th day, so are the eggs. Wazine and other wormers are poisons designed to either paralyze or kill internal parasites. There is a reason for withdrawals, same with antibiotics used in chickens...residue in eggs. There's always a chance of resistance as well, if needed sometime in the future the product may be ineffective. This is why wormers should be rotated. This is why certain antibiotics are ineffective and new ones need to be developed. If someone eats an egg prior to the recommended 14th (wazine in this case,) day withdrawal period, there is a possibility of a reaction if the individual has a sensitivity to the wormers ingredients, piperazine in this instance. There are wormers that are given to people in third world countries for river blindness, however they are under a doctors supervision. If anyone decides to eat the eggs directly after worming, it's their choice. I will observe the 14 day egg withdrawal period.

Back
Top Bottom