Speckled egg genetics?

Finally I got an egg today
wee.gif
a special one, from this little lady named Bibbi. Just for the records, she´s a Hedemora hen and 6 months old.

Today she layed her first egg! And it is speckled!

ya.gif
ya.gif
(click to see it in it´s full speckledness lol)

Now the next days will show if she always lays them
fl.gif

And I only need to wait for the next broody hen in spring, put a batch of speckled eggs under her and wait half a year to see if her daughters also lay speckled eggs.
fl.gif

This will kill me
tongue.png
I´m so not good in waiting. So if anyone already experimented with it and knows if this trait is dominant, co-dominant or recessive, please tell.

gorgeous egg... i'm jealous.....

i'm in the same boat... waiting to see what color eggs my EExleghorn hens will lay... and waiting for my marans to get here and for them to get big enough to breed and then their daughters to get big enough so i can see my olive eggers first egg.. lol..

barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

i also suck at waiting... lol...
hope she keeps up with the speckled eggs for you

I have gotten some really neat speckled eggs from my cochins lately. They are new layers, so it is a little bit different everyday. I have gotten one really gorgeous egg, a lightish tan color with lots of speckles. I'll have to get a picture later. I would definitely give them a few weeks/months to get their egg laying all straightened out before expecting to get eggs that look like that regularly. I have gotten some really neat ones from one of the cochins, I have no idea which one though
idunno.gif

My cornish X hen regularly lays speckled eggs. She's a commercial broiler bird.

GG5.jpg

eggs3.jpg

I guess that doesn't help with genetics at all though!
tongue.png
Maybe its the cornish in her? My other cornish X hen (also a commercial broiler) lays creamy eggs, no speckles. That could be the White Rock genetics coming through.

twoeggs.jpg

In fact, George, my speckled egg layer resembles a pure Cornish, based on a picture of white cornish that a member here posted recently, in her facial features and feathers, much more than my other girl, who closer resembles a White Rock, mostly in the face and in her soft fluffy feathers.

GG3.jpg

This is purely speculation on my part though.
idunno.gif

lol looks like we can wait together evonne

Hmm since the breeder of the hen told me that some of her hens always lay speckled eggs, I have to admit I espect her to constantly lay them, too
hu.gif
made sense for me NellaBean. Just like others lay white or brown eggs. They slightly vary in colour during the laying cycle but don´t change colour completely. But we will see.

th.gif
those eggs are prettyraroo! (And big
droolin.gif
my hens just lay S eggs, still working on the size) Feel free to speculate away
big_smile.png
I have no clue about Cornish though. But it´s good to read that there are others with speckled egg layers.

Thanks!
smile.png
The eggs got even bigger as the months went by, those pics were taken of her first few eggs, and the creamy egg was my other girl's first egg, too. Their later eggs make extra large ones from the grocery store look puny! LOL those gals never cease to amaze me.
love.gif

Here is the most speckled egg I have gotten.
speckledegg1.jpg

It with a RIR egg and a Jersey Giant egg.
speckledegg2.jpg

It plus two other speckled eggs.
speckledegg3.jpg

I'm almost positive it is the cochins, but no idea which one. Or if there are multiple laying speckled eggs. But they are awesome
smile.png

I have one BO hen who always lays speckled eggs. I never thought of it as special, so didn't take a picture. But, she never varies, it is always speckled. The speckles are smooth, but they do wash off if you scrub.

Back
Top Bottom