Speckled egg

Poultrybonkers

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Mar 22, 2011
My Coop
My Coop
Is it normal to candle an egg and the shell seems speckled inside or splotchy. The egg is from my sex link shes a year and a half. These eggs seem to die before hatching to. I had 4 last month only two hatched one i had to assist. This time i have 7 and three already seem dis. Is she to old to be hatching her eggs

I think you are seeing alot of "pores" eggs with pores can hatch, but it is best to chose an egg with out pores. They can let in germs.

All chicken eggs have about 7,000 pores. In fact all eggs are porous. That's how the embryo breathes.
It could be that the egg was washed or lost its bloom and allowed some bacteria in which may be what you're seeing.

All chicken eggs have about 7,000 pores. In fact all eggs are porous. That's how the embryo breathes.
It could be that the egg was washed or lost its bloom and allowed some bacteria in which may be what you're seeing.
x2
Some eggs, however, seem to have extremely porous shells and can allow too much evaporation, drying out the egg during incubation.

I agree. That's why I weigh eggs periodically rather than look at RH or wet bulb temp.
It's trickier if incubating different kinds of eggs but I almost always incubate the same breed from my flock.

Back
Top Bottom