Speckled egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Poultrybonkers, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Is it normal to candle an egg and the shell seems speckled inside or splotchy. The egg is from my sex link shes a year and a half. These eggs seem to die before hatching to. I had 4 last month only two hatched one i had to assist. This time i have 7 and three already seem dis. Is she to old to be hatching her eggs

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I think you are seeing alot of "pores" eggs with pores can hatch, but it is best to chose an egg with out pores. They can let in germs.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    All chicken eggs have about 7,000 pores. In fact all eggs are porous. That's how the embryo breathes.
    It could be that the egg was washed or lost its bloom and allowed some bacteria in which may be what you're seeing.

4. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    x2
    Some eggs, however, seem to have extremely porous shells and can allow too much evaporation, drying out the egg during incubation.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I agree. That's why I weigh eggs periodically rather than look at RH or wet bulb temp.
    It's trickier if incubating different kinds of eggs but I almost always incubate the same breed from my flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by