Speckled egg?

Mamachic1967

Songster
8 Years
Apr 1, 2015
I have one chicken that tends to lay a speckled egg. I do get the odd one but this one is covered. Can anyone tell me why?

Some chickens just lay speckled eggs, or the speckles could be extra calcium forming on the shell thats why the spots might be bumpy, its not dangerous.

Last edited:
It's not related to calcium, from my understanding.

A brown egg is genetically a white egg (when you crack it, the inside of the shell is white) with a "spray" of brown coating on the outside. This spray accounts for the different shades of brown that different hens lay. Some hens apply a nice, even coating of spray. Some have a sprayer that gets, well, clogged for lack of a better term. Think of a can of spray paint when it's not shaken well. It spatters. This is pretty much what happens with some hens. Now, I'm not advising you to shake your hen
lol.png
, just enjoy your pretty speckled eggs.

My Welsummer lays brown speckled eggs! I love them. From what I have heard, researched, speckled eggs is common from the Welsummers, :) Love your photos of your eggs.

I found this one today from one of my Barred Rocks, I believe. I thought it was dirty, but now I just think it's pretty! She has just begun laying in the last few days. I love all the helpful info here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom